Pixel Map output levels

So I've been learning Pixel Mapping on my Nomad at home and just had a chance to get into the theatre today over our summer break.

I tried plugging in my Pixel Map files and noticed something I can't figure out.

We have two types of LED fixtures. COLORado 1s and Colorsource CYCs.

The COLORados popped up when I ran my pixel map, but the CS CYCs required me to run up the level on those channels for them to work.

The level of the PARs were at zero, but the pixel map outputted levels.

I have no idea why.

My only thought is it's because the CS CYCs have an Intensity master address & the COLORados do not.

Parents
  • ^This. You're exactly right.

Pixel mapping differentiates between fixtures with "real" intensity parameters (those patched to a DMX address) and those with virtual. If it's virtual, pixel map will drive it directly. If it has a real intensity parameter, pixel mapping needs the fixture to be turned on as a desk channel. (I'll occasionally use the shortcut Chan X Color 0 to zero out the color parameters as a quick way to get pixel map exclusive control, but there's a better management technique -- see below).

This is where the Crossfade parameter on the server channel comes in handy. When the crossfade is at 0, color control is shared in an HTP manner between the pix map output and regular output. If you set it to -100, the pixel map takes complete control. (And +100 ignores all pixel map output) Using these, you can usually get a pretty smooth transition between pixel mapping and regular channels, and direct the control where you need it to be.
  • ^This. You're exactly right.

Pixel mapping differentiates between fixtures with "real" intensity parameters (those patched to a DMX address) and those with virtual. If it's virtual, pixel map will drive it directly. If it has a real intensity parameter, pixel mapping needs the fixture to be turned on as a desk channel. (I'll occasionally use the shortcut Chan X Color 0 to zero out the color parameters as a quick way to get pixel map exclusive control, but there's a better management technique -- see below).

This is where the Crossfade parameter on the server channel comes in handy. When the crossfade is at 0, color control is shared in an HTP manner between the pix map output and regular output. If you set it to -100, the pixel map takes complete control. (And +100 ignores all pixel map output) Using these, you can usually get a pretty smooth transition between pixel mapping and regular channels, and direct the control where you need it to be.
Children
Related