Vectorworks Plugin

Hello There,

I noticed for GrandMA you can import vectorworks files via a plugin and see the vectorworks plot in MA 3d or in their 2d wireframe visualizer.  

Is there a way to make a lighting plot in Vectorworks and import that information in to a Magic Sheet?  

The reason why I ask is my current workflow is to make the lighting plot in Vectorworks, print copies for the crew and import it in to a magic sheet as a background image.  From there I create the lights in the magic sheet and place them over their spot in the plot.  At the end I have an interactive lighting plot where I can see everything just like the 2d vectorworks export.  What I would like is to just import the vectorworks file and skip the part where I have to make the plot twice.  

I've never used lightwright but from what I understand it only manages data and not 2d plots?

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Sincerely,

Nathan Harris

• If you don't want to make the plot twice, you could always skip the part where you plot the lights in Vectorworks and hand the crew printed copies of your magic sheet.

• As far as I know, your current method is the best approach to importing a plot into the Magic Sheet function on the console. There isn't a way to directly import a .VWX file into the Eos. You can always draw the plot in the Magic Sheet itself, but it's not as feature-rich as Vectorworks. I've done both methods and prefer using Vectorworks (but I also use it for 3D rendering, etc).

One way to make life a bit easier when migrating between an Eos and Vectorworks is exporting a patch file from Vectorworks and importing it to the Eos. If you correctly track your channels and dimmers, you can export a Data file or an ASCII file that the Eos can read and automatically patch your fixtures. It's not totally what you are looking for, but I find it incredibly time saving since I'm not entering data twice.

Lightwright works with Vectorworks and has a more feature rich way of manipulating data and an easier way to export patch data into the console. I also believe Lightwright 5 has a way to network into an Eos network and turn lights on and off from the software. I haven't used it yet, but it sounds like it would make calling Focus from Lightwright much easier.

• I also believe Lightwright 5 has a way to network into an Eos network and turn lights on and off from the software.

This is a Lightwright 6 feature. It can also transfer cue list and group information to/from a console.

Related