UPS Safe Shutdown

I will be working on an installation shortly that will involve an Ion Xe RPU, and I would like to know if its possible for an APC UPS that is connected to the same network as the RPU to shut it down in the event of a power failure. I know that I can use the UPS to shut down a computer remotely and I've been able to do this successfully with other networked peripheral devices before, (like a NAS) but I believe it requires some code from the UPS manufacturer to be included on the devices. SO I guess my question is does the RPU have that functionality included? 

Thanks,

Ryan

Parents Reply
  • I don\t know if your UPS has it but in the past some of them used to have a set of contacts that you could connect to get the shutdown signal.   If so you could then connect that to the switch closure inputs on the desk and run a shutdown macro.  

If that doesn't exist then a mains powered relay on the non UPS power would be able to tell the desk its on UPS power and you could then run a macro to shutdown the desk after a delay perhaps.

Children
  • Thanks Mike, 

It looks like the "modern" UPS' that have a network card don't seem to have contact closures. Although some have USB and RS-232, so I suppose that a show control gateway could be another option. 

I also like the relay suggestion. That could be the solution I'm looking for on this project. 

Ryan

Related