EOS Operating System Maintenance

About once a year I defrag my Windows OS at home. Is it necessary or advisable to perform this function on the WIn7 OS EOS runs under or would the next software upgrade include such? 

Parents
  • defrag is useful for systems that have a traditional hard disk (rather than an SSD) and write/delete/move a lot of files. both is not the case for an Eos console. so: No, neither advisable nor necessary. and no, a software update does not perform this function.

• So ELE2 using SSD (makes sense seeing how some of these boards get carted around). I didn't think of that and   understand one definitely does not defrag these guys. Thankyou

• Even if its not SSD you only need to defrag if you are creating and deleting a lot of files,  which just doesn't happen on the desk, where its unlike you even deleted 10,000 files in the time you've had the desk whereas on a PC you may well clock those sorts of numbers in a month (web browsing temp files,  each email a temp file in some cases).  

Also defrag just improves read speed of files that migth get split up across the disk, and you don't actually read files on the desk, other than when you open a show file and i doubt you could tell if it was 10ms faster openig as a result of a defrag.

• Media files for pixel mapping or images for magic sheets would be a place one could possibly need to read/write large files on a console, but all the above points are valid.

Another place would be in a swap file (if the device runs out of physical memory and needs to use a disk for overflow), but given the nature of a console is to calculate and output thousands of DMX values dozens of times per second as instantaneously as possible, I would expect it is built with ample RAM for the task.

It actually might be potentially more of an issue with 3.0/Augment3d running on the older desks, depending on how heavily textures and other image elements are incorporated into the vis.

• Media files for pixel mapping or images for magic sheets would be a place one could possibly need to read/write large files on a console, but all the above points are valid.

Another place would be in a swap file (if the device runs out of physical memory and needs to use a disk for overflow), but given the nature of a console is to calculate and output thousands of DMX values dozens of times per second as instantaneously as possible, I would expect it is built with ample RAM for the task.

It actually might be potentially more of an issue with 3.0/Augment3d running on the older desks, depending on how heavily textures and other image elements are incorporated into the vis.

Children
No Data
Related