Removing tracking after swapping a showfile to Cue Only

Hi all, 

Firstly to be clear I do know what tracking is and how to use it and I do not want it. We work in cue only. Just to save the flippants' time.

I noticed a desk was in tracking mode, so I changed over to cue only. However the tracking behaviour seems to be stored in the showfile. The original cues are still tracking and new cues track. I spoke to a designer who told me he's encountered the same issue and usually just creates a new showfile and either recreates or opens part of the old showfile.

Does anyone know if the tracking can actually be turned off in a showfile with a cuelist originally built in tracking mode?

Curious where this information is actually stored. I'm assuming this is a safety feature so cue content doesn't get changed when changing modes. 

Parents
  • Eos always was, always is and always will be a tracking console. But you can make it behave like a cue only console in some respects. Cue Only answers the question what happens to the next cue when you make a change. The setting you have in the moment when you make a change is what decides what the console does. Which settings you had in the past and which settings you will have in the future don't matter. Changing the setting does not change any values, it just decides what happens to values that are changed after you have set the new setting.

Cue only or track also don't influence at all what happens during playback.

So depending on what makes you think tracking wasn't deactivated, the explanation why this is expected behaviour might be different. If you write down what makes you think that tracking was still active, I'm sure someone here can explain.

• Eos always was, always is and always will be a tracking console. But you can make it behave like a cue only console in some respects. Cue Only answers the question what happens to the next cue when you make a change. The setting you have in the moment when you make a change is what decides what the console does. Which settings you had in the past and which settings you will have in the future don't matter. Changing the setting does not change any values, it just decides what happens to values that are changed after you have set the new setting.

Cue only or track also don't influence at all what happens during playback.

So depending on what makes you think tracking wasn't deactivated, the explanation why this is expected behaviour might be different. If you write down what makes you think that tracking was still active, I'm sure someone here can explain.

Children
  • Cheers for the quick reply ueliriegg. 

I can see in blind spreadsheet that cues are tracking, "@ enter" commands don't remove a channel from a cue as it should, instead it assumes tracked value, as I would expect in tracking mode. 

Cues don't have any flags or marks (a couple of blocks but I'll get to that when cleaning up). Nothing else obvious I can see. 

• Ah, that's where the confusion is. Eos is not only a tracking console, it's also a Move-Fade console. Values only change if they are told to change. This happens with Move Instructions. Those are the blue and green values. At Enter doesn't mean "remove any value", it means "remove the move instruction". And if there's no move instruction anymore, according to the move-fade philosophy the channel has to stay where it is (which is why a tracked value is displayed).

So what you're seeing is expected behaviour.

There is a White Paper by Sarah Clausen and Anne Valentino that explains the different philosophies used in lighting control: www.etcconnect.com/.../DownloadAsset.aspx

• Sorry for the delay, i went live in the interim and wanted to run some tests on this to make sure we're on the same page. 

So I did not know that @enter removed a move instruction. I have been using this to clear out zero values from the live table to make things less cluttered for freelancers. Turns out of course I have just gotten very lucky with a habit of punching holes in my cues. Those zeros are only there when they constitute a move instruction, whereas I assumed someone had accidentally recorded zero values into cues.

See my understanding was that cue mode faded from up each cue from zero, and tracking was only possible if specified with the track key. Your explanation makes sense of course. Am I right then in saying that the difference between tracking and cue only mode is that cues created in cue only mode are given move instructions of zero intensity for each patched channel? I can't find anything in the manual that specifies the fundamental difference but from extrapolation this seems the most plausible.

Every day is a learning day... That's a million ueliriegg, I have to go through 3 desks and make all my channels absolute 

• Cues recorded in cue only mode are automagically creating an "undo the move" change in the subsequent cue. So if the value was zero in a previous cue it will be zero again in the following cue, otherwise it will be whatever value it was.

As Ueli said, Eos is always a move-fade console. It will keep doing whatever it is told to do until another instruction comes along that tells it to do something else.

• The way i usually explain it is: Cue Only protects the values in the next cue. You might see that the value changes color (the color is automatic, e.g. if it's now an upmove instead of staying at the same value the console will automatically make the value blue instead of magenta).

Related