Effects 101

I should know this but lack practice. We have three moving heads and I want to apply an effect pattern to swing them around a small area center stage. I've selected them in the past and applied an effect like 909 "Ballyhoo". But now I want to:

1/ Constrain their movement to cover a small area beneath them. Do I adjust "Scale" in the FX window?

2/ Want their colors to change randomly as they move around. Can I/Should I run another effect on top that effects color only? And

3/ Need to put at and keep their "Cam Focus" at 100% (tight bean) when entering and staying that way during the effect.

Quite a shopping list and I'm not quite sure where to start.

• 1. You could alter the scale or if you want more control you can create an absolute effect with 2 steps (or more if you want a more complex movement) with a focus palette on each step and then you can set the focus palettes to the exact end points you want for each fixture.

2. You can run a separate effect for the colour or you could instead of a focus palette use a preset and include the colour in that.

3. You can record that in the palettes or presets (same value in both steps).

• 1/ Great!

2/ I'm using prerecorded focus and color FX at present but my Preset knowledge needs brushing up. I thought a Preset put up a static set of parameter or are you suggesting I make a series of presets and run these in a chase?

3/ Again its the Preset stuff.

I'll do some reading tonight and experiment tomorrow. The theater is closed so I can have ELE2 to myself. I'm sort of OK with single off items like Focus, Color Palettes and Effects but it's when they have to be piled together I need more experience with. Thank you for your help. 

• On 2 I suppose it depends on what you are trying to achieve,  probably you would want separate effects,  because if you used the same one the colours would be fading between two values rather than stepping like a chase. 

So assume you use different effects and the chase would be a an absolute effect with one or two color palettes in it and the other step set as background,  that way you can set your A and B colour palettes and the chase overlays the current colour the fixture was at the start.

Preset is really the same as a palette or probably more precisely a palette is really a preset, the difference is if you just simply record a preset then all the params go into it,  but if you record a color palette only the colours go into iit.  (In both cases you can actually choose which parameters to record so you could decide to only record the red parameter into a palette as you might do with a colout palette - so you can think of the pallettes as just a shortcut to quickly select a set of params to record).

The only real difference is that a Preset can refer to a pallet so rather than record the values for RGB in the preset you can record that the fixture was set to Color Pallete "night scene" and then later if you changed the values in that colour palette then the result of using the preset would change.

• Thanks Mike every bit helps. I went in this am and used a pre-recorded FX 903 to put them into a figure of 8 which looked good. But none of the prerecorded color ones suited me. I wanted to switch RGB, GBR, BRG so from p344 made my first Absolute FX using three Color Palettes. Worked great (better than I deserved!) except the colors were fading in and out. I'd like to have them switch colors immediatley. Take a look at the attached. How do I get the fade to sudden? Or should I use a Step FX?

• the number in the Time column says how long it should take to get there (fade), the Dwell time says how long it should stay. so to keep to overall speed but with snaps instead of fades you want to have all 0 in the Time column and all 1 in the Dwell column.

• Thank you. This works well. I was interested to see that my Palettes went into the "Level" column. Kind of thought (when first seeing this panel) that would have been perhaps a % intensity.

The FX I put together swings three ML's around ("8") and changes color (per above) and I use a Beam Palette to narrow the beam. (Is that the right way to say it: "Narrow the beam"?. In the ML window I put "Cam Focus" at 100% to take the beams from a wide angle flood light to a smaller footprint spot).

The darn thing works but the way I jumbled things together would probably horrify an expert.

Related