Element 1 - DMX I/O Noisy/Failing - Guide or Tips to Self Repair?

Hello, I work in education in the UK and we have an Element 1 board here and one of the two DMX outputs is very noisy or failing. Sadly because of the age of the Element 1 there is no interest in spending any money on actual repair or service. However it would really benefit me and my team to be able to get the second output working again!

So if anyone has any tips on how to go about this would appreciated! I have found ETC guide on opening the Element up just would appreciate if anyone has any advice or perhaps if there is a cheap DMX splitter that would work just as well to let me know! (Not limited by Universe more by physical cabling)

Hope thats enough to go off thank you in advance!

Parents
  • I would first contact the legendary ETC phone support crew. They can help you be really really sure it's the console. 

While I've seen bad DMX chips it's very rare. Any utility electrical work, lightning strikes or odd stuff going on? 

If the console is doing it's job (features and such) there is every reason to repair it, age not withstanding. Software updates will still give new functions and bug fixes. A new console is nice, but would you really gain much? 

• I would first contact the legendary ETC phone support crew. They can help you be really really sure it's the console. 

While I've seen bad DMX chips it's very rare. Any utility electrical work, lightning strikes or odd stuff going on? 

If the console is doing it's job (features and such) there is every reason to repair it, age not withstanding. Software updates will still give new functions and bug fixes. A new console is nice, but would you really gain much? 

Children
  • Thank you so much Rick. On your few questions - Confirmed it to definitely be the Output port on the desk nothing to do with the DMX infrastructure or anything external as if I connect the failing port to a standalone fixture the fixture has a heart attack.  But I will give them a cool next time I can sit in the space with the desk see if we can deduce it any other way before opening it up.

And I agree with you on repair absolutely, I would love to get the Win7e upgrade done as well but alas had no luck making a decent case to do this the preference is let it die and then replace with a new from those that hold the money.  Thanks again though.

Related