"Sticky Keys"

Running our Element 2 last night when a small window popped about with a message about "Sticky Keys" and then went on to say something about CTL+ALT+ ?

It was covering our cue list so we hit the NO button at the bottom to get rid of it, and didn't really have time to read it. It popped up a few more times during the evening!

Parents
  • Sticky Keys is activated in Windows when you press the Shift key 5 times in quick succession. Do you have an external keyboard attached? It's possible the keyboard is faulty, or possibly something was leaning on the keyboard.

• Yes we do have that keyboard tucked away and I will remove it today while show is running. But the bit about 5 x shift is of interest. I'm working with a programmer who is fast (25 years Expression 3) and furious. He could have hit that key meaning to do a back cue. As it appeared after we said No: is there something we can do. like hit Shift 5 times again? 

• The intention of sticky keys is to prevent unwanted keystrokes from keys that are stuck and are repeatedly triggered. It can be enabled by pressing the shift key 5 times. It can be disabled by pressing the shift key 5 times again.

- Sam.

• Sticky Keys can also be permanently disabled in the Ease of Access menu so you'll never get the pop-up again. To get there, press shift 5 times to bring up the Sticky Keys window, as shown in samkphx's reply, then click on the blue link in the Sticky Keys window. It'll bring up the Ease of Access Center window.

In the Keyboard Shortcut section, uncheck the box for Turn on Sticky keys when shift is pressed five times, then click Apply

• Sticky Keys can also be permanently disabled in the Ease of Access menu so you'll never get the pop-up again. To get there, press shift 5 times to bring up the Sticky Keys window, as shown in samkphx's reply, then click on the blue link in the Sticky Keys window. It'll bring up the Ease of Access Center window.

In the Keyboard Shortcut section, uncheck the box for Turn on Sticky keys when shift is pressed five times, then click Apply

Children
  • OK, got all that. I removed the external keyboard  in case it was that. While these notices were popping up last night we noticed that when going back and forth between our cues using the GO/Back buttons we lost all timings!

That would coincide with another explanation of sticky keys in Windows whereby one can press say Shift which will stay active and then Alt  followed by say U. Instead of pressing all at same time. I reckon in our case when we hit the Go/Back buttons they were seeing a shift stuck there and that got rid of the timing.

Oh, I also turned off the small private network WiFi router we use to remote control the lights from the stage - just in case! Ran board for 4 hours today and no problems.

• Just noting in passing that we've also seen this recently on a Gio that was powered up for the first time in a year, and we (by which I mean the crew in the theatre plus me remotely by Zoom) couldn't really see anything obvious that had triggered it. I'm sure it's co-incidence - but on the other hand it's a slightly curious co-incidence to hear two instances of this, having never encountered this at all in lots of years of using Eoses....

Rob.

Related