Sensor 3 lost in Network

Dear fellow operators and people at ETC,

I have a strange one that occurs to me from time to time but I can not reproduce on purpose.
In our venue we are running a Backup-Master system with a TI and an ION Xe. For dimmers and switches there are  CEM3 Sensor-Racks.
Those are fed with sACN. Networkwise the TI and the ION are going to two HPE Office Connect 1920s switches which are connected to a third one that feeds the Dimmer-Racks.
We have Sensor-Feedback activated but from time to time there are channels unavailable and when I check in about I see that some of the racks got lost. So I thought we have some kind of networking problems but then I recognized that they are always there on the ION (I usually sit in front of the TI).
Usually we don´t have networking problems. One thing we just changed a couple of days ago though is the configuration of our switches.
There was a huge renovation last year and the whole system is a brand new installation. I started to work here when they just finished.
I asked our distributor if those were unmanaged switches and was told they are. Much later we checked about that and found out hat they are not and are set to DHCP by default. Since this week they all have individual static IPs.
I can´t tell if this can be related somehow but I checked for lost dimmerracks and couldn´t find any within those last days.

Any idea about this anyone?

THX
Paul.e

Parents
  • Hi Paul.e,

So I thought we have some kind of networking problems but then I recognized that they are always there on the ION (I usually sit in front of the TI).

Are the Ti and Ion in a Primary/Backup or Primary/Client setup or are they independent desks on the same network?

Networkwise the TI and the ION are going to two HPE Office Connect 1920s switches which are connected to a third one that feeds the Dimmer-Racks.

Ti goes to Switch 1
    Ion goes to Switch 2
    Switch 1 and 2 are connected to Switch 3
    Sensor Racks are on Switch 3

Is that an accurate topology?

It reads like you have multiple Sensor Racks - do all racks present this issue at the same time or is it only some of the racks?

About how long was the system up an running before you noticed the first issue?  And then how long before you noticed it again?

If you restart the Ti, does it regain Sensor Feedback?

If you reset the Sensor Rack, does it restore Sensor Feedback on the console?

• Hej Seth,

it´s a Master-Backup setup and from time to time we have a nomad as client online.
    Actually the topo of the switches is that they are in one rack and just linked. So the ION goes to the top switch which is connected to the next one and so is the TI and that one is connected to the third one.
    Sensor Racks are five and I never us all of them. Usually two or three. Right now I can not even tell if those are always the same. Same with the rest. I would say I regain Feedback when I restart the system but there has been no further testing as it occurs during rehearsals, tech or shows and then we just go on as they still read sACN.
    But I will try to keep track in the future and take some notes. And when it occurs and I´m able to test it I will check both cases; restart desk and restart dimmers.

Thank you so far Mr. Starr!  

• Thanks for the update!  Also if it happens again saving Eos logs from both desks and sending those over would be helpful as well.

Another thing to check if you run into this again.  From a Computer or Console, run Concert and run a network map.  Save the config and send that over as well.

• Hej Seth,

I will do as you told me. Let's see, since I started to activly looking for it it seems not to happen... Thinking

Reply Children
  • Hej Seth,
    today one of our Sensor Racks demanded some privacy again. This time it was invisble in about for both consoles. When I started the system everything was fine and online.
    I followed your advice and checked what will happen when I restart the different devices and I got some logfiles as well.
    I can already tell that I didn´t get the Sensor-Rack back in about before I powered itself down.
    Trying to say I went to shell with both consoles seperately and when went back online the rack was not shown in about at all (when I noticed that it´s gone it had gone red and showed it lost connection).
    After that I powered both consoles down and restarted them together but the Sensor Rack was still not shown.
    Afterwards I powered everything down including the Sensor Racks themself and restarted and got all Racks back. Today it was Rack 3.
    I checked in Concert as well - from Consoles and Laptop - and all Sensor-Racks were shown and available  all the time.

Shall I send those logfiles, concert-config and this description directly to you or to "eos@etcconnect.com"?
    I still have your e-mail from when you got our backs when we had trouble with our Show-Control-Gateway.

Thx a million!

• Hej Seth,
    are there any updates on that topic?
    I´d also like to know if there is any way to "refresh" about?
    I already had it that a rack was lost to me on the TI but shown on our Xe and I would like to prevent a reboot.

Related