Copying NIP between identical fixtures of different types: weird behavior

I'm experiencing behavior I can't understand using Copy To / Recall From with non-intensity parameters between fixtures with different types but identical parameters.

I created a fresh show with nothing in it to rule out bogies from elsewhere in the showfile, and I've attached a screengrab with command history that tells the story faster than reading this, but I'll type it out:

I'm on a show with Arri S60 and S120 skypanels (the profiles are basically identical for the two fixtures in this mode, and I believe I've edited them to be actually identical in all but name).  If a look is dialed in with RGB values on an S60 and I try to RECALL FROM or COPY TO to share that look to an adjacent S120 (ch01 COPY TO ch02), intensity tracks correctly but the RGB values go wacky:  There is a change, but I go from (for example) RGB 50/50/50 to RGB 99/100/65. THEN, if I go ch02 COPY TO ch03 (going from the 120 to a different S60) it works correctly (ie, the third light, an S60, exactly copies the RGB values of the second light, the S120).  What the heck?  I can even then copy those values accurately back to ch01 and ch01 will adopt the skewed 99/100/65 values of the other two.

Can someone help me understand what's happening here?  The behavior is exactly repeatable although the resulting skewed RGBs vary based on the initial values (but repeat as such).  It doesn't seem to matter if I go from the S60 to the S120 or vice versa, nor whether either was at HOME to start.  MAKE ABS also doesn't influence it.  If I assign ch01 to a color using the gel picker (ie ch01 COLOR 3 / 651) then RECALL FROM, the values do copy correctly (confirmed in the sACN viewer), and if I take the extra step to specifically call out the RGB values (ch01 RED + GREEN + BLUE COPY TO ch02) it works correctly. 

Obviously I have a bunch of workarounds but I want to know what I'm misunderstanding.

Thanks,

Luke

(3.0.2 build 6, library 3.0.1.2)

Parents
  • pretty sure that your profiles have different color spectrum associated (that you can't edit, nor directly see). when you copy color Eos tries to give you the same light output rather than just copying values that's why the values are processed through the spectrum comparison before being applied to the target channel.
    there is a softkey DMX when copying.

in the fixture editor there is also a checkbox for the color calibration, maybe that helps.

• pretty sure that your profiles have different color spectrum associated (that you can't edit, nor directly see). when you copy color Eos tries to give you the same light output rather than just copying values that's why the values are processed through the spectrum comparison before being applied to the target channel.
    there is a softkey DMX when copying.

in the fixture editor there is also a checkbox for the color calibration, maybe that helps.

Children
  • Thanks Ueli. 

I didn't realize there was magic happening deeper than what we could access through the fixture editor.  The DMX softkey does transfer the values directly (the same as selecting RED + GREEN + BLUE, only with fewer keystrokes). 

That color calibration box:  I see it as available on the S120 profile if I make a copy (and unchecking it does indeed solve the issue, though I'm wary of what else it would screw up) but it doesn't seem to appear on the S60 profile nor copies of it.  The S60 is a a3d profile but the S120 doesn't have that feather...  Is that something that is going away in the future?  The manual makes it sound like it's mostly to make processing faster.

Thanks for the lightning quick reply.

Related