Custom patches - is RGB info possible over 1 or 2 dmx addresses?

So the Great Christmas Tree Project has started - my brother and I are attempting a fully pixel-mapped LED tree this year to run animations over, using a nomad, a gadget, some rgb string lights, and an arduino.

Our first big issue is space - the gadget only has two universe outputs, which get filled pretty quickly with rgb units, all acting as independent pixels. 340 pixels really isn't that many!

We've been wondering if there were a way to get the software to treat the virtual parameters of hue and saturation as real outputs, allowing the LEDs to run off two addresses each. Or even more extreme - to simply send an 8-bit colour signal down one address to be interpreted by the arduino. 

Any help welcome!

xx

Parents
  • you can use HSI, by default htey also need 3 addresses, hue, sat and intensity. you can get away with hue and sat only but then you have no way of turning off the pixels. R=0, G=0, B=0 equal "black", but H=0 and S=0 equal white (and no, bring one or both to 255 doesn't turn off the lights).
    you can get away with two addresses per pixel (and some custom code): one for color and one for intensity.

• How would you make a custom parameter for colour? Colour presets and macros seem to be an option in customising a profile, but I can't see how to actually get info into it.

• i would use the parameter name Color_Select and then assign a color wheel to a channel. if you patch a regular moving light with a color wheel and go to Patch>Attributes, have a look at the Color_Select field in the CIA to see how that's done. the custom code would be knowing which DMX level represents which RGB values for the pixels output. not sure if pixel mapping will control the "color wheel" though, i have a feeling it will not.

• i would use the parameter name Color_Select and then assign a color wheel to a channel. if you patch a regular moving light with a color wheel and go to Patch>Attributes, have a look at the Color_Select field in the CIA to see how that's done. the custom code would be knowing which DMX level represents which RGB values for the pixels output. not sure if pixel mapping will control the "color wheel" though, i have a feeling it will not.

Children
No Data
Related