Delay in triggering Q with Midi

Interesting problem came up today after upgrading to 3.1 on our Pre-UCB Gio Sunday. The show we're doing today has several MIDI cues from sound (they're running Ableton), it's a rep show and these have always worked without a problem before. Now there is a very noticeable delay, 0.5-1 second, between the MIDI being fired by sound and the light cue being triggered. I also noticed the board interface is a bit "laggy" when typing since upgrading and these things might be related. 

We want to try and downgrade to 2.9 to see if that fixes the problem but it might have to wait until tomorrow, I'm not to excited about downgrading the software with an hour before we have people coming in the door. Has anyone else had issues with lagging since upgrading?

Parents Reply Children
  • Hi  , could you clarify if you are using a Showcontrol Gateway or Response MIDI Gateway to receive MIDI?  Or do you just have a MIDI cable run into the Gio or the Ion console?

• MIDI is running directly into the Gio

• If you have a MIDI tester try to verify were are the delay comes from.
    Some years ago I have the same problem with a nomad system caused by laggy Windows MIDI drivers.
    Use OSC instead, this should possible with Ableton.

• I have spent some time testing the past couple of days, and I'm not able to replicate the issue where Eos v3.1 reacts "more slowly" to MIDI than previous versions.

The way I tested this was to send a "dummy" OSC message to an Eos Ti console at the same instant that I send a MIDI Go message.  I would send 10 Go messages in a row with 2 seconds in between, then look at the results in the console logs for the timing.

I found that the OSC messages were almost exactly 2 seconds apart (+/- 0.025 seconds).  The MIDI messages were interpreted by the console anywhere from  0.02 - 0.125 seconds later (mostly in the range 0.022 - 0.080 seconds)  

There is a small amount of time needed for processing these messages by the IO card reading the MIDI , then the processor interpreting that IO message.  I think that accounts for the lag in this test.

If you are able to implement OSC, it would be interesting to have you try a similar test with Ableton sending both "dummy" OSC messages and the MIDI message, and see if you get similar results or if the MIDI timing is drastically different sometimes.

• Thank you very much for taking the time to troubleshoot this so thoroughly! We will try to see if we can get some time with sound to set up an OSC network for testing on 3.0.3 and 3.1. The more playing around with setting and tabs we’ve done we’ve found a few other ways the board lags, with two screens of channels (Tab 1) there is a bit of a lag when typing and with all five screens on channels and running 3.1 we were able to get the board to crawl even when typing simple channel ## @ ## kinds of commands. 

Since it doesn’t seem to be an issue for many others and is difficult to reproduce I’m starting to think it might be something with our Gio specifically but I hope not

• I had something similar, a slow software, on an RPU 3 Month ago.

After cleaning the Harddrive and do a deep clear it came up with new glory.

Related