What is the purpose of the Displays key?

I’ve heard people say it’s a browser toggle, and others say it shifts tab focus, and some say it’s there to change softkeys down at the bottom.

In my experience, it does all of these things to an extent, but none of them well. It isn’t an A/B toggle for neither the browser nor the softkeys, and opening the browser certainly seems to shift focus. 
I’m often pressing it twice to open the browser and sometimes once and sometimes twice to close it.

So what does it really do?

• The real answer is that this key does lots of things, including some you mentioned.
    It opens the CIA showing whatever is loaded there (the favorite display for the CIA).  Double tapping it opens the Browser.  It changes the softkeys to show a list of displays to jump to.  When held it allows changes to brightness of displays or sizing of displays (zoom).  In combination with other keys it also has a few other functions outlined in the manual.   

It does several things, all having to do with how information is displayed.

• Thanks for answering! It does work a bit better I guess if I have something other than the browser as favorite. I think this button does a bit too many things - opening the CIA, changing the softkeys (only if the displays softkeys aren't there in the first place), showing the browser.

Might I suggest a simpler function, just an idea and this might not be perfect;

Current state - Tab 2 selected, in Live, softkeys shown are Address, Fader and Preview/Offset.

Displays key single press 1; CIA favorite opens, softkeys for displays are shown.

Displays key single press 2; CIA favorite closes, softkeys for displays are replaced with the default Address, Fader and Preview/Offset. State of console becomes the same as before inital press of Displays.

and for browser operation;

Displays key double press 1; Browser opens, softkeys for displays are shown.

Displays key double press 2; Browser closes, softkeys for displays are replaced with the default Address, Fader and Preview/Offset. State of console becomes the same as before inital press of Displays.

or

Displays key single press 2; CIA favorite opens, softkeys for displays are shown.

Displays key single press 3; CIA favorite closes, softkeys for displays are replaced with the default Address, Fader and Preview/Offset. State of console becomes the same as before inital press of Displays.

This would always result in displays softkeys being shown if either CIA or browser is open and always show the default softkeys when CIA and browser are closed. Currently it is a bit random.
    This would also make every singe-press either an open or a close for the CIA depending on what's onscreen and every double-press will either open or close the browser depending on what's onscreen. From the browser you could single-press to access the CIA straight away or just double-press again to return to the initial state.

Currently you have to do two single presses to return to initial state if the browser is not as favorite or press the down arrow, which is unfortunate if you are trying to watch the stage and just want to quickly close the browser.

There is probably some flaw to this but I hope the idea gets across, more predictability and less unneeded presses.

Related