Absolute effects being affected by background values

I’m working on my busking file and I’m having some issues with absolute effects not quite behaving how I would expect.
I built a simple color picker which assigns high/low values for a set of two step absolute effects to reference. I have these effects on faders which are set to a higher priority than my main color picker. The main color picker is basically a cue stack for each fixture type, with macros jumping between cues. The effects color picker copies color pallets into one of two reference pallets.
The problem I’m having is that when I run the effects, their color output doesn’t always match the reference pallets, instead it seems to be influenced by the color set in my main color picker. The color behavior is really strange... for example: if I have blue in my main color picker, and cyan in my effect picker, when I turn up the effect fader I get green only at full. If I change my effect picker to magenta with blue in my main picker, I just get red when I turn up the effect fader.
I’ve tried changing priorities and fader modes, and I made sure the color pallets include every color channel, but I just can’t figure out how to make the effect output match its reference pallets regardless of background colors. Not sure if I’m missing something or just not understanding how absolute effects are supposed to behave.
Thanks
Related