Control System at a New Venue

I am working with a new community theatre, and were trying to get started with lighting on a very small budget.

I have some experience with lighting design, but have never started from the ground up with a new venue.

I am looking at the ETC Gadget II, and am confused about how it is used and what its for. Is it used in replacement of a full lighting board (i.e. it is a standalone control system)? Or is it in addition to the board?

if it is standalone system, do I just need a computer (with ETC nomad), several dimmer packs, and conventional lights to make the whole system work?

Thank you very much!

(Ill also take any advice you have on what equipment to look into)

Parents
  • Hi there. For the minimum system to work you will need a computer with the nomad software loaded, a gadget II (which sends DMX from your USB to the dimers ) and a licence key (that is like a small usb key and plugs into a usb slot. 

That will give you control over sending DMX to the dimmer packs which in turn make your fixtures come on. If starting from scratch and if you can get some LED fixtures. This has some advantages in the amount of power required for each fixture and also will give you colour options for lighting instead of using gel.

There are plenty of good videos available to get you started but they might be a few versions of software old. 

I hope this has answered your initial question and most likely raised some more.

Regards

Geoff

• Hi there. For the minimum system to work you will need a computer with the nomad software loaded, a gadget II (which sends DMX from your USB to the dimers ) and a licence key (that is like a small usb key and plugs into a usb slot. 

That will give you control over sending DMX to the dimmer packs which in turn make your fixtures come on. If starting from scratch and if you can get some LED fixtures. This has some advantages in the amount of power required for each fixture and also will give you colour options for lighting instead of using gel.

There are plenty of good videos available to get you started but they might be a few versions of software old. 

I hope this has answered your initial question and most likely raised some more.

Regards

Geoff

Children
No Data
Related