Submaster will not record channels

Total newbie here who stepped into volunteer lighting role at local theater.  Element 2 board and zero training.  I had success creating a new submaster for all the lights with red gels, following the prompts on the shortcut sheet.  Now, I need to create another submaster with about 20 channels set at different levels for a particular show.  I have tried following the steps I used for the red submaster, but cannot get the board to remember the channels at all.  I have tried setting the channels in live individually, then recording to submaster and then as the command  line instructs, re-entering each channel @ intensity. I also tried just doing direct input by typing the channels and intensities into the command line. I saved the settings to the submaster and labeled it; it shows up on the fader page and when I move the fader the percentage goes up and down, but the actual lights never come on.  Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

Parents
  • Thank you, Mathilda, for trying to help.  I apologize if I sometimes get the terminology wrong, as I am at home and the board is at the theater.  At any rate, using the EOS Family Cheat Sheet, I did the following:   In LIVE, I individually set all the channels that I wanted to the intensity I wanted, and then pressed Record Sub 10 Enter.  At that point, the line above the command line says, enter channels at intensity and press enter.  I really didn't expect that, but followed along, entering each channel @ whatever and pressing enter after each one.  That didn't work.  I think on the website there were instructions for  just leaving the channels down and typing in each channel @ whatever and I tried that, which also didn't work.  In the middle of this I was having trouble with the lights staying on and not going out, even when I switched back from Faders to Channels and ran each fader button up and down.  I am embarrassed to say that several times I resorted to "have you tried turning it off and on again?"  After trying to load this submaster about 8 different times, I ended up with a nicely labeled submaster and a fader that, on the fader page, showed intensity going up and down but with no lights going up and down at all.

Our setup is very basic and so I have been just doing each show manually with the submasters that had previously been recorded.  We do not have any LEDs.  (People who were actually trained, and then my predecessor who didn't really understand the board, are now long gone.)  I have been hesitant to screw up settings, and tried doing the new submasters in a new file (which I saved in a new folder but cannot seem to open.)  I did take the plunge of trying to save the submasters to the existing file and they do show up, but of course the Sub 10 doesn't work.

• Hello there,

what i read is that you use the Faders in the 'per channel-selection mode'.

I know that mode. And it is special to having physical faders on a device. Right now i don't have a external Faderwing or something similar to test your situation.

Hopefully i will have some time tomorrow.

But despite of this.

If you set up your channels with the key-pad, like:

1 @ 50 Enter

7 @ 75 Enter

3 Thru 6 @ 35 Enter

And then do a [Record] [Sub] 10 [Enter]

Will this do the trick?

And i highly can recommend the training Videos from ETC. I do love them.

www.etcconnect.com/.../

Yours

Mathilda

• Thank you.  I thought I tried that before but honestly I am so confused on the entire situation.  I will try that tomorrow.  In the meantime, another question... Is there any possibility I could set all the channels individually and then control them with the "Master" fader(s)?  I don't really know what the Master faders do...  I have looked at the training videos; however, I find them a bit hard to follow as they deal with so very many variables that we don't use, and my background is in science (not theater!) so a lot of the terminology is not familiar.

• Thank you.  I thought I tried that before but honestly I am so confused on the entire situation.  I will try that tomorrow.  In the meantime, another question... Is there any possibility I could set all the channels individually and then control them with the "Master" fader(s)?  I don't really know what the Master faders do...  I have looked at the training videos; however, I find them a bit hard to follow as they deal with so very many variables that we don't use, and my background is in science (not theater!) so a lot of the terminology is not familiar.

Children
No Data
Related