Understanding what Offset is Modifying

Can someone please help me understand why Offset is applying to Cell in this example, and not Channel?

I was expecting "Chan 1 Thru 10 Offset Odd Cell 15 @ Full" to apply "Offset Odd" to the proceeding items (Chan 1 Thru 10), in effect acting like "Chan 1 Cell 15 + Chan 3 Cell 15 + Chan 5 Cell 15 + Chan 7 Cell 15 + Chan 9 Cell 15 @ Full"

Instead "Offset Odd" appears to be modifying "Cell 15"...

Offset modifying Cell vs Channel is very obvious in the Even example...

Running EOS 3.1.3 on Puck + Programing Wing

• The right syntax will be 1 THRU 10 Cell 15 Offset 2

Offset Odd is based on the channel number ( this is why you have an error, because 15 cannot be even...)

odd based on selection : OFFSET 2

even based on selection : OFFSET 2/2

• Thanks Nicolas, that does the trick with this specific example. 

• I guess I'm still struggling with the idiosyncrasies of what "OFFSET" modifies with multi-cell fixtures. Sometimes it modifies Channels, sometimes it modifies Cells, and sometimes it modifies differently based on the combo of Channels + Cells. 

Here's where I think I'm at:

• The placement of “Offset” bares no change to the behavior of what is modified.

• Odd / Even pay no mind to Channel when Cell, or a group of Cells, are specified.

• Offset # only modifies Channel when a single Cell is specified, if more than one Cell is specified it modifies Cells instead.

• Offset 2 and Offset 2/2 modify Cells, and has contextual differences on even vs odd Channels.

• Offset 3 modifies Cells Only.

• Offset 4 modifies Cells, and has contextual differences on even vs odd Channels.

Examples:

Chan 1 Thru 10 Offset 2 Cell 15 

- Modifies Channel, Channels 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 selected; only Cell 15 selected for each

Chan 1 Thru 10 Cell 15 Offset 2 

- Same as previous 

Chan 1 Thru 10 Offset 2/2 Cell 15 

- Modifies Channel, Channels 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 selected; only Cell 15 selected for each

Chan 1 Thru 10 Cell 15 Offset 2/2

- Same as previous 

Chan 1 Thru 10 Offset Odd Cell 15

- No Modification to Channel, Channels 1-10 selected; Cell 15 selected for each

Chan 1 Thru 10 Cell 15 Offset Odd

- Same as previous 

Chan 1 Thru 10 Offset Even Cell 15

- Nothing Selected, as it is modifying Cells and the Cell is Odd

Chan 1 Thru 10 Cell 15 Offset Even

- Same as previous

Chan 1 Thru 10 Offset 2 Cell 1 Thru 15 

- Modifies Cells, Channels 1-10 Selected; Odd Cells Selected on Odd Channels, Even Cells Selected on Even Channels 

Chan 1 Thru 10 Cell 1 Thru 15 Offset 2 

- Same as previous

Chan 1 Thru 10 Offset Odd Cell 1 Thru 15

- Modifies Cells, Channels 1-10 Selected; Odd Cells Selected on All Channels

Chan 1 Thru 10 Cell 1 Thru 15 Offset Odd 

- Same as previous

• Puh... there is quite some difficultys.

What are like to do?

• Posting Cell after your Offset is not doing any good or better.
    Instead you may post it infront of your Offset and try not to confuse yourself.

As  statet, Odd and Even are based on the real Channel No.
    While Offset 1,2,3,4,... are starting a selection as a "every 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, ..." of the selected Objects.

With a Selection of 2/2 or 3/2 or 4/2 or ... you will end up with every 2nd of every 2nd, 3rd, 4th.

---

e.g. Ch 1<16

Better think of it like bar of 16th Notes.
    In one Bar you have 16 Notes.

If you like to select every 4th Note starting at the very front:
    [1] [Thru] [16] {Offset} [4] 

If you like to select every every 4th Note starting at the 2nd Note:
    [1] [Thru] [16] {Offset} [4] [/] [2]

If you like to select every every 4th Note starting at the 3rd Note:
    [1] [Thru] [16] {Offset} [4] [/] [3]

---

I hope you can see were this is going to.

And yes it is not always easy. But if you know how to speak the language, it will get better , )

Related