Configuring a cheap-o DMX relay board on EOS Element

Hello.

I bought a $40 Chinese 8 channel DMX relay board from Aliexpress so we could fire off some practicals in our community theater production. The board works great as an 'intensity" device, and you can patch its 8 DMX addresses to 8 Element channels and the relays will enable when the level gets over 50%. So far, so good.

But, I thought it would be fun fire up the Fixture Editor and create a custom fixture for it, mostly so the "Type" field in Patch wouldn't just say "Dimmer." I had no problem making an 8 attribute custom fixture with an 8 address DMX footprint, but then those address became a "device block" and I couldn't patch each relay individually to its own channel. (Yes, I'm a newbie.)

Soooo....I made a 1 attribute/address custom fixture called "Relay on Relay Board" and I then I could instance up 8 of those and stick 1 on each channel. This works, but only if the type of the attribute is set to "Intens." If I set it to "Relay" (from the "Image" category, I think) it doesn't seem to do anything, even if the allowed values are 0 > 100.

So, I guess I'm asking what is the "ONE TRUE WAY" to set something like this up (and get the nice snapping behavior and type display and maybe even represent the device as a unit with an 8 address footprint, but still be able to control each relay)? I also see there is an attribute type called "Relay Layer" (in "Form" I think) -- that sounds interesting, but I've no idea what it is or why it is different than a simple "Relay."

I mean, what I have (1 channel custom-named fixture with an attribute type of "Intens" and snapping clicked on) works fine and I'm not stuck, but it seems like I'm not being truly mutual with "the EOS way" -- and I'd like to be one of the cool kids.

Thanks!

Parents Reply Children
No Data
Related