Element vs Ion for moving lights

We are renting a junior high school for a production of Joseph and the amazing technicolor Dreamcoat next week. They have an ETC Element, updated to 3.0.1 software. 

We are renting four Elation Picasso moving lights for the production and a couple of tech guys have told me that we really need the Ion XE for moving lights instead of the Element.

Is that accurate? Should we also rent an Ion XE or are we ok to program the Picasso lights in the element? 

Thank you! 

• The Element does not have physical encoders which can make focus with moving lights cumbersome (still doable with the ML controls tab) and then creating focus palettes for commonly used positions. You can also use the OSCRfr app on an iPad to gain virtual encoders which is another very effective route.

Depending on whether you need other features (like multiple cue lists) or a higher address count than the Element has then you should be fine with the Element and save the rental $.

Robert

• Thank you! What would we need in addition to the app? Do we need the nomad gadget 2 to connect it to the board? If so, I don’t think we could get it by show dates. Or is there something else we need to order to connect the console to the iPad app?

• A simple wireless router. Plugs into the network port on the console and then you connect wirelessly with the iPad. No need to have any internet connection (in fact best practice not to).

Also, on one of my prior comments, look closely at how many DMX addresses you are going to need based on the house rig plus the Picassos (which will need either 36 or 62 addresses each) and compare it to what is available on the Element. If it is an older board, you may be constrained to 2 universes (1024 addresses) and need to get an Ion to support it all.

• Perfect! The Element board we are using has 2 universe options and what the school has connected now is only on the 1st universe (just basic lights), so we have the entire 2nd universe to use for all the lighting we are bringing (with a wireless transmitter/receivers). I just mapped out everything we are bringing to add to their system and we will only need to go up to address 361 on the 2nd universe. 

Related