Effect phase/start point synchronise

Apologies for my terminology.

Suppose I have an effect with a cycle time of 2 seconds. I want this effect to run to coincide with the downbeat of the music, which is at 120bpm. When does the start of the cycle happen -- is it at the exact instant I start the effect, or is there some global phase/clock that it maps to?

If I've got an effect that is already running, but it's somehow out of sync/phase with the music, is there a way to tell it "restart your cycle NOW"? Do I stop the effect then immediately start it again? Or is there another way to do it? Happy to use macros or OSC messages.

As a feature request, I'd love it if Eos had some kind of global bpm, along with global beat/downbeat time synchronisation. In my ideal world, you could feed those things in through something like Ableton Link, and/or have the console generate the beat positions itself; then for each effect, you'd optionally be able to say "sync with global BPM", and give the effect a multiplier e.g. "1 cycle == 1 beat", "1 cycle == 2 beats", etc. The console would ensure that every cycle started on the downbeat.

• For timing you can learn the bpm in to the cue. To do this with a clear cmd line and the effect running press  [Learn][Time] and then tap the enter button to time. 

If you have multiple effects running then you can select the effect you want to time.

Another way of adjusting timing is to have a global effects fader  set to rate and adjust on the fly. This is how I do it while busking. I have 2 rate faders assigned to different fixture types.

I think the cycle will start at the time the go is pressed.

Regards

Geoff

Related