Issues with nomad and RPU

so I’m having an issue with my current setup. We have a Gio @5 as a primary and a RPU as our backup. We use a nomad as a client for our designer table and other nomads when needed.  everything connects just fine without our RPU on but When the RPU connects to the primary, our client computers struggle/ won’t see the primary console.

I have found out because we use the multi console power toggles and the main nomad we use tried to connect but fails for a few minutes. Without the RPU everything works just fine as intended. Hopefully I’m missing something in the shell. Any advice?

Parents
  • Hey Brandon, 

there could be many factors preventing the connection here: possible in Network, possibly in the consoles. 

1.) How are your three (or more) Eos-Devices physically connected on the network?

1.a.) Through one switch? Or multiple switches? A photo/Drawing (even hand-drawn) posted here would be helpful. 

1.b.) Are the switch(es) managed or unmanaged from Type? 

Make/Model would help here. 

1.c.) If managed, what settings are set in switch(es)? Configs would be helpful here. 

1.d.) If managed, to try and troubleshoot, could you for test‘s sake, connect all 3x (or more) through an unmanaged switch and see if problem persists?

1.e.) Are all three (or more) physically connected to network with network cables or wireless.

2a.) What are the Network Addresses (IP, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway IP) and othr network settings of all 3x (or more) devices? Photos of all network settings in Consoles/PCs would help here. 

Thanks and have a great day! 

• Hey Brandon, 

there could be many factors preventing the connection here: possible in Network, possibly in the consoles. 

1.) How are your three (or more) Eos-Devices physically connected on the network?

1.a.) Through one switch? Or multiple switches? A photo/Drawing (even hand-drawn) posted here would be helpful. 

1.b.) Are the switch(es) managed or unmanaged from Type? 

Make/Model would help here. 

1.c.) If managed, what settings are set in switch(es)? Configs would be helpful here. 

1.d.) If managed, to try and troubleshoot, could you for test‘s sake, connect all 3x (or more) through an unmanaged switch and see if problem persists?

1.e.) Are all three (or more) physically connected to network with network cables or wireless.

2a.) What are the Network Addresses (IP, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway IP) and othr network settings of all 3x (or more) devices? Photos of all network settings in Consoles/PCs would help here. 

Thanks and have a great day! 

Children
  • Hello Corey,

1) The RPU and the Gio are on the same Unmanaged switch

A) I am attaching a quick diagram of what our current setup is which will give a little more information

B) TL-Sg1016D is what the RPU and Gio @5 is Connected to I believe. All the other Switches are TL-SG1005P(UN). Our AP/s are EAP690E HD

C) all are unmanaged

E) The ones I am worried about are all hardwired through the switches

2) Eos IPs: 10.101.10.1 ; 10.101.10.2 ; 10.101.10.3 Subnet: 255.255.0.0 Gateway: 10.101.1.1

unfortunately, we are in the middle of tech for a show so I can't get photos.

when the RPU isn't on, I can get everything connected to the primary. The client Nomad struggles to connect when the RPU is on. it does eventually connect but it is spotty.

Tech Draft.pdf

• Hi Brandon - my apologies for the long response time.

The Switch TL-SQ1016D looks like a "true" or "dumb" unmanaged switch, but the TL-SG1005P(UN) is a "Smart" unmanaged switch designed for office/video conferencing applications using QoS (Quality of Service) functions which prioritize certain data for which it thinks are office internet applications/video conferencing, and thus slows, or blocks intermittently other data - like ACN which we need for the communication between consoles; it also utilizes IGMP Snooping which can also filter or intermittently block ACN and other needed ETC protocols.To most switches, lighting data is a niche, unknown data protocol, and certain QofS functions will slow or intermittently block the lighting data.

Since the switch is "unmanaged", these QoS Functions can't be administered or disabled, and most of the time, it's unclear how the switch manufacturer actually implemented these functions in the switch.
    Such "Smart" unmanaged switches are designed for office / home office use, and not for a lighting network. They are designed to automatically optimize email and video conferencing functions.

"True" or "dumb" unmanaged switches are getting harder and harder to source, because the demand in the largest switch market - office applications - want more automatic QoS protection functions built in.
    If "true" unmanaged switches can't be sourced, then a managed switch will need be to be sourced, and then all the correct settings based on the manufacturers manual must be learned and configured to allow for all the lighting network protocols. Contact your local ETC Tech Service office for assistance on this.

Another note: your comment "TL-Sg1016D is what the RPU and Gio @5 is Connected to I believe", leads me to worry about common problems in an installation, that sometimes not all switches are known in installation. Cables disappear into racks or walls, and sometimes people are not aware that there is another switch for this traffic hidden in an unknown room. Recommending is doing research in the venue, and then having an exact network plan of the lighting network, which contains all switches with make/model, and all end devices including all of their Network IP Info and this plan kept up-to-date and hung in the lighting booth. It helps with troubleshooting in the future.

I would recommend swapping out the TL-SG1005P(UN) switches connected between the RPU and the PC with a true dumb unmanaged switch and then the Clients should be able to continue connecting without any issues.

• There are good resources about on the ETC Support site
    https://support.etcconnect.com/ETC/Networking/General/Network_Design
    This document is a general overview about network design
    Guide_to_ETC_Network_Requirements.pdf
    Like corey said unmanaged switch are black boxes and used for office.
    The most common switch in event industry are the Ciscos CB350 series(e.g. CB350-8P-2G with 8 ports and POE), but not easy to configure because they have Layer3 functionalities.
    Personally I prefer Aruba InstantON 1930/1960 series.

Related