Ion Universe 1 strobing & flashing on restart

Universe 1 (which is both LED movers and conventional dimmers) is randomly strobing, ballyhooing, ramping, and zooming upon console start up.  This runs until you go into a cue, and then there is just random flickering for the most part.

It has to be an issue in the board itself and here why:
It can’t be a bad fixture or a termination issue because it’s not all on the same DMX run (conventional dimmers & movers).  
Also it can’t be a bad DMX run because when we run it off of a Nomad laptop everything is fine.

Any ideas on what could be happening?

Parents
  • Thank you for reaching out. Some questions to help diagnosing:

• What console do you have? Ion classic or Ion Xe? If Ion classic, which generation (cf. here)?
    • What's your software version?
    • What's the signal path from console to rig? Running DMX or network? Are there DMX splitters involved?
    • If you run from the Nomad laptop, how do you connect to the rig?
    • Do you know if you have RDM enabled? Setup > Device > Local Output, check the RDM column (in older software version this was located in Setup > System > Local Output).
  • It’s an Ion Classic, I’m not which generation, but I know it’s old and potentially still running windows 7?

Universe 1&2 are just hardwire DMX into the board.  When we run off the nomad we just plug the runs into the gadget. So if the issue was anywhere in the DMX runs or splitters it would still be present when running off the nomad, but it’s not.

RDM is disabled on every output, I did double check that yesterday.

• Do you still have the problem? Some things I would want to rule out:

1. Ensure that when the two DMX cords are plugged into the board, they aren't being torqued, pulled, or squished by a back wall or by other cords or by anything else like that that would not affect the Gadget. 

2. Ensure that your patch is 100% correct. 

If it's neither of those, I would start a simplification process. That means bypassing as many parts of the system as possible to discover the simplest version of the problem. So take a short 5' dmx cable and connect the board directly to a small light you know works. That gives you clearer information on the simplest version of the problem and conclusively rules out issues with your internal DMX cabling/splitting system (which may potentially have problems that would be specific to a board??? But I don't know enough about DMX protocol tech to know for sure, so I would want to rule that out more conclusively).

• Do you still have the problem? Some things I would want to rule out:

1. Ensure that when the two DMX cords are plugged into the board, they aren't being torqued, pulled, or squished by a back wall or by other cords or by anything else like that that would not affect the Gadget. 

2. Ensure that your patch is 100% correct. 

If it's neither of those, I would start a simplification process. That means bypassing as many parts of the system as possible to discover the simplest version of the problem. So take a short 5' dmx cable and connect the board directly to a small light you know works. That gives you clearer information on the simplest version of the problem and conclusively rules out issues with your internal DMX cabling/splitting system (which may potentially have problems that would be specific to a board??? But I don't know enough about DMX protocol tech to know for sure, so I would want to rule that out more conclusively).

Children
No Data
Related