Connecting up to Artnet using Student Edition nomad

HI there, walking in a relatively small theatre running 3 universes over artnet. They are using a Zero88 FLX to control their fixtures. I have some jobs coming up which require programming and would quite like to do it on my nomad student edition, is the student edition able to output 3 universes if it's over artnet? I know the puck it ships with only has 2 DMX outputs but I wondered whether or not networking would be different.

I attempted to get it working the other day but wasn't successful. The artnet is patched 1:1 so artnet universe 1 is the light's universe 1 and so on.

Do I have to connect to the same network as the desk or give my laptop a different IP if I want to gain control of the lights? This could be difficult as I also need to hardwire my laptop in to our digital sound console to run cues for sound.

Any help would be appreciated, little bit stumped here and don't want to risk breaking the artnet system!

Parents
  • The Nomad dongle in the student pack is a regular dongle with a license of 1024 addresses.

So the answer is a yes and no, or rather a yes and maybe: yes you can output ArtNet. You cannot output 3 full universes, but you can output 1024 spread over 3 universes. Maybe that's enough?

The problem you could be having with ArtNet, that its numbering starts with 0, rather than 1 like sACN does. So if the theatre's nodes are set for universe 1, that's the 2nd ArtNet universe. try addressing your patch to universe 2 instead of 1.

And finally the IP address: You can never have the same IP address more than once in a network, so you will have to change the IP address to fit the lighting system, but change it to a smiliar IP rather than the same address as their console.

• Thanks for the reply!

To confirm, how many universes can the student dongle output? I don't believe we go above address 1024 in any of the universes so that should work perfectly.

This is the output protocol setup my co-worker (who setup the artnet system in the theatre here) told me I needed to use (before he left for a different job lol) so I believe this should be correct since it's patched 1:1 so Artnet universe 1 = sACN universe 1.

I'm aware you can't assign multiple devices to the same IP but do I need to be on the same network as artnet is connected up to even if I'm patched in via cat5?

• If you want to speak to the Node, you need to be in the Same IP Range.

Example: If you can't sail over the Sea, you can't deliver a Postcard to a Friend oversea.
    In that case, the same IP-Range makes you able to Sail over to your Friend. Otherwise you are shouting from the Costline and only the Sea will hear your Message, but it will not deliver it over.

Mixing up Sound and Light Networks is possible. But thing about all the Data that is flowing.
    And in Windows you can even make your Network-adapter to take more than one IP Address.

Not easy, but manageable. Even with a Managed Switch (what a play of words : )

• How many universes? well if you assign 1 parameter to a universe then theoretically 1024 universes.  You have 1024 parameters to use. How you distribute them over the universes is up to you. You could do 512 to U1 and then 256 to U2&3 if you wanted. Hope that makes sense.

Geoff

• Hi Mathilda, hoping you can give me some more insight here.

THe artnet is patched 1:1 meaning universe 1 is artnet universe 1. The IP that the lighting console (a flx) has is 2.171.198.105 and a secondary address of 10.171.198.105. I plugged in artnet to my laptop and assigned an ip of 2.171.198.106 and am still unable to gain control of any fixtures. I will show pictures below of what my setup looks like. Really hoping you can help me out here!

• Hi Mathilda, hoping you can give me some more insight here.

THe artnet is patched 1:1 meaning universe 1 is artnet universe 1. The IP that the lighting console (a flx) has is 2.171.198.105 and a secondary address of 10.171.198.105. I plugged in artnet to my laptop and assigned an ip of 2.171.198.106 and am still unable to gain control of any fixtures. I will show pictures below of what my setup looks like. Really hoping you can help me out here!

Children
Related