How can I program a moving light to be a followspot in a fader?

How can you program a moving light as a temporary followspot on a fader? 

I have an actor moving into the audience which cuts off the follow spotlight from FOH, so I need to program a spot onstage as a followspot.

Before I get a Robo, I needed to see if this was possible and if anyone else has done it before.

Parents
  • Is this one planned move from a point on stage to another pre-defined point in the auditiorium? Or could the actor walk wherever they want?

If pre-defined:
    You could try this: In your cuelist you move the moving light to the beginning of the followspot sequence. Manually move the sub to the end of the followspot move. Record only Pan and Tilt into a sub (Chan 1 Pan Tilt Record Sub 1 Enter). This should take care of the move.

If different every time:
    That's less fun. You could still do it, probably best two subs (and Pan, one Tilt), but that can get messy quickly because you would have to find different solutions for increasing vs decreasing the Pan or Tilt value.

But just as important as getting the fixture to move along is how to elegantly get out of it again. probably best fade out intensity from the next cue and then bring the subs down and assert the cue to make sure that the cuelist is back in control.

• Is this one planned move from a point on stage to another pre-defined point in the auditiorium? Or could the actor walk wherever they want?

If pre-defined:
    You could try this: In your cuelist you move the moving light to the beginning of the followspot sequence. Manually move the sub to the end of the followspot move. Record only Pan and Tilt into a sub (Chan 1 Pan Tilt Record Sub 1 Enter). This should take care of the move.

If different every time:
    That's less fun. You could still do it, probably best two subs (and Pan, one Tilt), but that can get messy quickly because you would have to find different solutions for increasing vs decreasing the Pan or Tilt value.

But just as important as getting the fixture to move along is how to elegantly get out of it again. probably best fade out intensity from the next cue and then bring the subs down and assert the cue to make sure that the cuelist is back in control.

Children
No Data
Related