Applying Effects to Groups of Channels

Good morning Eos Community.  I'm guessing this is a very basic question and I am just missing something, but I'm trying to figure out how to apply Absolute effects across groups of channels, not to spread across all channels.

For a simplified example, since it's the holidays...  Let's say I have 2 color palettes, one (CP1) where channels 1&3 are red and channels 2&4 are green, and another (CP2) where the reds and greens flip. And I just want to alternate between those.

Hope that makes sense.  I have two steps in an absolute effect, just CP1 and CP2.  How can I group 1&3 and have them stay in sync opposite of 2&4?

Thanks so much!

Parents
  • There are two ways: one is with a property of the effect, the other one is with the channel selection when applying the effect.

1. In the effect editor change the Grouping to 2, or
    2. When calling the effect use paratheses: (1+3) (2+4) Effect 1 Enter

Some notes:

• You only need one of the two methods.
    • Grouping two means "every other channel", i.e. the 1st, 3rd, 5th, ... channel of the selection doing the same thing.
    • Method 1 is faster when calling the effect because you don't have to worry about defining the grouping in the command line, but it's less flexible
    • Parentheses define subgroups. Each subgroup is treated as one object by the effect (and other syntax as well).
    • Parentheses are written with [Shift] & [/]
    • Offset can help write a channel selection with (), but only if there is a matching ruleset in Offset.

Does that help?

• There is a third option I think, to select the channels.

Using your example, Assign channels 1 & 3 into Group 1 (or whatever group number you choose), and 2 & 4 into Group 2 (or again whatever Group number you prefer).  Set your effect to a Grouping of 2.  Then call the effect: "Group 1 + Group 2 Effect 1 Enter".  I'm not at a board right now bit I'm pretty sure this works.

• No, this wouldn't have the expected result, the console would just string together the two selections. What would work however is (Group 1)(Group 2) Effect 1 Enter

Reply Children
No Data
Related