Changing a fixture type in a recorded show

Hello!

I have a recorded show that was created using some DTS Katanas for cyc lights. Now we will be performing in a smaller theatre, where we'll use some VERY generic static 6-chan LEDs for the cyc lighting (Dim-RGBW-Strobe).

When I try to replace the fixture type, from Katanas to Generic IRGBW (+offset), all the show data gets messed up. It looks like EOS is linking the addresses in order, instead of identifying their function.

When I use a software like QLC+, specifically their Remap function, I just have to point that Katanas are now Generic IRGBW, and the software links Katana-Red with Generic-Red and so on. I was expecting EOS to do the same, but it looks like it links channel 1 to channel 1, 2 to 2, 3 to 3 etc., regardless of what each channel does.

What should I do?

Parents
  • It should just work. You'll need to first [AT] [ENTER] the addresses for the existing units and then changing the fixture type. The problem you're encountering is likely that the Katanas use a different number of addresses than the Generic alternatives.

The colours should also work fine - though you may find if youre moving from a different colour mixing system (ie: the original units had a lime chip and the replacement units have a white chip) that the colours don't quite match up as well as you'd like.

If you're planning to go back to your other venue with the DTS units later, you might actually be better off to make a copy of the units in patch and then assign them as a new type. If you select the units, say they are channel 1 [THRU] 3  and then [COPY TO] 11 [THRU] 13 {PLUS SHOW} - you can change the type of 11-13 to be the touring venue units and they'll grab all the show data for channels 1-3. If you then end up adjusting any colour to make it match better you don't impact your original units.

• I believe that it should, but it isn't, unfortunately. And yes, I agree that the likely problem is that they very diferent fixtures, but that's what I want to know, what to do in this case.

Like I said, software like QLC+ links the new fixture channels with the old fixture channels based on their function, regardless of their position (first channel, second etc) or how many extra or fewer channels there are, so I'm assuming EOS would do the same.

Thanks for the tip on {PLUS SHOW}, I'll look it up and read more about it. Right now, I simply keep the original version saved elsewhere and return to it if needed.

• I believe that it should, but it isn't, unfortunately. And yes, I agree that the likely problem is that they very diferent fixtures, but that's what I want to know, what to do in this case.

Like I said, software like QLC+ links the new fixture channels with the old fixture channels based on their function, regardless of their position (first channel, second etc) or how many extra or fewer channels there are, so I'm assuming EOS would do the same.

Thanks for the tip on {PLUS SHOW}, I'll look it up and read more about it. Right now, I simply keep the original version saved elsewhere and return to it if needed.

Children
No Data
Related