can a router plug plug into Port #2 into on a 2 port ION?

I was using  a hidden network via a router. IThe router was plugged into port #1 and the network into Port #2. The router was unplugged from the ION. The network cable was then plugged into port 1. Can the router be plugged into port #2?  Does the network cable need to be in Port #1?

• Since the two ports must live in different subnets it's important that your device stay connected to the ports they were configured for. I would strongly advise to plug everything back to where it used to be. Otherwise you possibly would need to change configuration for both ports as well as parts of your lighting network and of the wireless router.

• What are you attempting to accomplish with this setup? What is your intention with the two network ports? What you're attempting to accomplish will in large part determine the answer. Although generally speaking each physical port on the console should be on its own separate network (ie, a lighting network versus a data network, or perhaps a wireless network to permit for focus apps, etc. Once configured a sepectic way, you generally should not be adding unnecessary complication by swapping how the ports are used. 

If on the other hand you have a simple single network, then your router would be connected to port one, and all other devices should be connected to the router, not passing through the console.

• It's been a very busy couple of weeks. We did plug everything back  where it was.  I think our biggest challenge is that we don't have the correct vocabulary to convey the correct question.  We had a router which was plugged into Port 1 and created a "hidden network"   We then had downloaded the etc app and used an iPad as a iRFR remote.  In late Sept. one of our colleagues downloaded the latest software and firmware updates. The router would no longer work, and the clock will not show the correct time. We've tried to adjust it a few times, but it never stays (we did push the apply icon at the bottom before leaving the page).  

Currently plugged into port 1 (network ethernet cable) :  IP address: 10.101.100.101, subnet: 255.255.0.0,

Default gateway: 10.101.1.1, physical address: 88-ad-43-fb-72-9a

Port 2 (nothing plugged into this currently)  IP address: 192.168.1.100. subnet: 255.255.0.0, 

Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1  Physical address: 88-ad-43-fb-72-99.

We have several nodes which we used concert to map to various locations.  We assumed that they did not work in port 2 do to the incorrect IP address.  

We printed and referenced the etc articles regarding how to set up a router etc..  I hope this information is helpful. 

At this time we are running the network from port 1 and have all of the nodes working.  Is there a different solution to getting an iRFR remote than using a router?  

Do you have any suggestions for setting the clock and having it keep the updated setting?

Thank you for your time and patience. 

• That information is somewhat helpful but I think the vocabulary is still getting in the way, but that is okay and lets see if we can figure it out...

1) If the IP address of the "router" you have connected into Port 1 is 10.101.1.1 then it sound like you have a wireless router (it provides both wireless access point and general network routing functionality).

2) How your "router" is connected is important. Most have a single WAN port (might be labeled internet) -- and then one or multiple network (might be labeled computer or network or LAN, or unlabled). You'll want your console/computer and nodes connected here.

3) Hidden networks are actually more problematic than unhidden ones and it hasn't been a networking standard for a long time now, infact, hidden networks can cause more problems than it solves. But of course, you want to make sure your wireless network has a very strong and secure password running WPA3.

4) It is strongly discourage to run both your lighting network (ArtNet/sACN) on the same network as a wireless network, they should be separated. It can work, just not a good idea. You'll want to spend more time separating it out. I believe ETC has a good primer video on networking, but in brief. you want all of your nodes on a separate network that is just for lighting -- which might be your 10.101.x.x network. And then put your wireless router on the 192.168.1.x  network. On the Port 1 you'll need something that provides DHCP which might be some network router, or the console can provide that for you. But you will NOT need to assign a gateway... A gateway says "here is how to find things not on my local network" but for the lighting nodes you don't need or want them to be able to talk to anything not on the local network. However on Port 2, there will also need to be a DHCP server (but the wireless router handles this by default). Now if you want the console and wireless network to be able to reach the general public internet then you'll need a default gateway set (and some routers don't let you turn this off anyways) -- but you can also just not leave the "wan//internet" cable connected. It is a good idea, but not critical (and options differ) on if you want your console to be connected to the general internet, as well as anything connected on that wireless network.

• Thank you for your reply. It made all the difference and answered our questions. Thank you for explaining the need for separation between networks it made sense.  Once we took the board out of the WPA port on the router and confirmed the correct   IP Addresses in Port 1 and Port 2 on the console it worked out perfectly. We have the new app from the app store. It makes much more sense now.

I really appreciate your time. I will look for the ETC Network primer video. 

Kathy

Related