iRFR network setup

Hello All, I just purchased a couple of wireless routers and the ipad iRFR app and am ready to go! I spent time on the product wiki page and am still having diffculties. 1. I am assuming that I need to configure the router *before* it is plugged into the EOS. I have configured many many router/internet connections successfully (computer/modem/router), but when I plug the router straight into the computer to configure it doesn't connect (I have a netgear router and the config address is www.routerlogin.net) What am I missing? 2. In the router config utility there is a "Internet IP Address" where I assume I select "Use Static IP Address" and enter the information manually. What do I use for the DNS server info? 3. Is there a suggested security protocol? 4. WAN? LAN? Hopefully these aren't too basic! Thanks,

[edited by: Pat Immel at 9:39 AM (GMT -6) on Sat, Aug 6 2011]
Parents
  • Pat, a lot of folks have played with different settings on wireless routers and come up with various permutations that can work.  (as illustrated by the posts above).

If you want the simplest way to configure consumer wireless routers for iRFR and aRFR on a standalone ETC lighting network, try this.  It works with 99% of all routers I've encountered. (Yes, I just made that statistic up, but you get the idea!):

1. Ensure the primary console's IP address matches its default as specified in our wiki and its subnet mask is set to 255.255.0.0. If this setting is off, you will be prompted to reboot after applying the setting.  Accept the prompt and reboot the console.
    2. In the settings interface on your consoles, make sure the Network Services Address Service is running on only the primary console on your lighting network.  If this service was disabled:
      1. Enable it
      2. Verify the settings match these defaults:
        • First Address: 10.101.50.101
        • Number of Addresses: 500
        • Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
        • Enable Routed Network: unchecked
      3. Press the {Learn Network Devices} button
      4. Reboot the console when prompted
    3. Connect the router's "Internet" or "WAN" port to the lighting network just as you would any backup console or gateway in the system.
      • On an Eos console, this could be plugging into the internal switch or as another line off a core lighting network switch in the building.
      • With non-Eos consoles in existing network systems, connect as another line off the central ethernet switch in the facility.
      • If you have no existing network and aren't using an Eos, connect the router to the console directly using a crossover ethernet cable.
      • Note: For easy setup, do not plug other wired lighting system devices into any of the downstream ports on the router.  Using those ports without properly aligning the network settings is one place where people often go astray in gaining connectivity to the lighting equipment.  If, on the other hand, you want to change your SSID and enable encryption after you have connected up and confirmed things work the first time, then you will probably want to connect a laptop to these ports to adjust the configuration.  The router manufacturer's documentation should explain access techniques and available options.
    4. If you have reconfigured the router for any reason, use the manufacturer's proscribed reset mechanism to take it back to defaults.
    5. Leave the remote wireless device at its default network settings so it will get an address from the wireless router and connect to the wireless router.  (Note: The IP address the remote device receives will probably not appear to be in the ETC Network.  That's the joy of routers, they route traffic from one network to another.)
    6. If you have a problem getting things working at this point, power everything down and bring up the central switch first, then the console, then the router, and then connect the remote device again.

Updated Wiki Link to Support Article
    [edited by: starksk at 10:03 AM (GMT -5) on Tue, Apr 10 2018]
  • Pat, a lot of folks have played with different settings on wireless routers and come up with various permutations that can work.  (as illustrated by the posts above).

If you want the simplest way to configure consumer wireless routers for iRFR and aRFR on a standalone ETC lighting network, try this.  It works with 99% of all routers I've encountered. (Yes, I just made that statistic up, but you get the idea!):

1. Ensure the primary console's IP address matches its default as specified in our wiki and its subnet mask is set to 255.255.0.0. If this setting is off, you will be prompted to reboot after applying the setting.  Accept the prompt and reboot the console.
    2. In the settings interface on your consoles, make sure the Network Services Address Service is running on only the primary console on your lighting network.  If this service was disabled:
      1. Enable it
      2. Verify the settings match these defaults:
        • First Address: 10.101.50.101
        • Number of Addresses: 500
        • Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
        • Enable Routed Network: unchecked
      3. Press the {Learn Network Devices} button
      4. Reboot the console when prompted
    3. Connect the router's "Internet" or "WAN" port to the lighting network just as you would any backup console or gateway in the system.
      • On an Eos console, this could be plugging into the internal switch or as another line off a core lighting network switch in the building.
      • With non-Eos consoles in existing network systems, connect as another line off the central ethernet switch in the facility.
      • If you have no existing network and aren't using an Eos, connect the router to the console directly using a crossover ethernet cable.
      • Note: For easy setup, do not plug other wired lighting system devices into any of the downstream ports on the router.  Using those ports without properly aligning the network settings is one place where people often go astray in gaining connectivity to the lighting equipment.  If, on the other hand, you want to change your SSID and enable encryption after you have connected up and confirmed things work the first time, then you will probably want to connect a laptop to these ports to adjust the configuration.  The router manufacturer's documentation should explain access techniques and available options.
    4. If you have reconfigured the router for any reason, use the manufacturer's proscribed reset mechanism to take it back to defaults.
    5. Leave the remote wireless device at its default network settings so it will get an address from the wireless router and connect to the wireless router.  (Note: The IP address the remote device receives will probably not appear to be in the ETC Network.  That's the joy of routers, they route traffic from one network to another.)
    6. If you have a problem getting things working at this point, power everything down and bring up the central switch first, then the console, then the router, and then connect the remote device again.

Updated Wiki Link to Support Article
    [edited by: starksk at 10:03 AM (GMT -5) on Tue, Apr 10 2018]
Children
Related