Setting up Ion Network Help - Client Software - Do I need a Dongle?

So I have purchased 3 wnr-2000 v2 and have plugged one into the etcnet port. I have setup a wireless WPA-PSK2 passkey and on the board I enabled rfr wireless. I'm trying to use arfr (sadly it expired before I even got to use it, but will purchase when I know that I have everything setup) and the client software on my osx laptop and windows 7 laptop. However, when I try to connect the client software to the board it says master cannot be found.

Do I have to set the board up as a server? How will I do that?

In my router there are settings for setting up WAN, Static IP and such.

Is there a tutorial on how to do this anywhere?

I read somewhere that you need a dongle, I don't have one and cannot find one. All they gave me when they setup was an empty purple flash drive when they setup the board.

What I have - cat5e patch cable

Ipads for irfr

1 HP Touchpad for arfr

1 OSX Laptop for client

1 Windows 7 Laptop for client

ETC Ion Lightboard connected to an ETCNET port

3 x WNR-2000 v2 Wireless N Routers (They are not connected to the internet)

[edited by: APhamX at 1:33 PM (GMT -6) on Sat, Mar 17 2012]
Parents
  • The Eos Family Client Dongle is an accessory that you can purchase from your local ETC dealer.
    - It's a small, translucent purple USB stick with an internal red LED. It will be detected by Windows as a "HASP" or "Aladdin" device, not a memory stick.

You wil need one of these Client Dongles if you want to have live remote control of the console.

However, if you only need to see what's happening (not control anything) from the Mac/PC, that's known as "Mirror" mode and you don't need a dongle for that.

As to your connection difficulties, my guess (and this is a total guess) is that there is no "route" between the laptop and the console, usually caused by incorrect IP address settings.

Try to "ping" the console from your laptop (see the bottom of that page).
    If you can't ping it then you either have no physical connection (check cables/WiFi link status) or your IP settings (laptop, WiFi router or both)

The Wiki contains a lot of general information about setting up and using aRFR/iRFR and Clients, however we cannot offer much specific support as WiFi routers are all different.

[edited by: Richard at 5:59 AM (GMT -6) on Mon, Mar 19 2012]
  • The Eos Family Client Dongle is an accessory that you can purchase from your local ETC dealer.
    - It's a small, translucent purple USB stick with an internal red LED. It will be detected by Windows as a "HASP" or "Aladdin" device, not a memory stick.

You wil need one of these Client Dongles if you want to have live remote control of the console.

However, if you only need to see what's happening (not control anything) from the Mac/PC, that's known as "Mirror" mode and you don't need a dongle for that.

As to your connection difficulties, my guess (and this is a total guess) is that there is no "route" between the laptop and the console, usually caused by incorrect IP address settings.

Try to "ping" the console from your laptop (see the bottom of that page).
    If you can't ping it then you either have no physical connection (check cables/WiFi link status) or your IP settings (laptop, WiFi router or both)

The Wiki contains a lot of general information about setting up and using aRFR/iRFR and Clients, however we cannot offer much specific support as WiFi routers are all different.

[edited by: Richard at 5:59 AM (GMT -6) on Mon, Mar 19 2012]
Children
  • Just to keep people from hanging if they see this thread, I got it to work when I tried it two years later.

So basically it will say it's searching for the master. However for some reason it gets stuck on my computer. So I had click troubleshoot under where it said it was looking for the master. Inside the troubleshoot window I had to manually double click the available master cosole in the right. http://i.imgur.com/v52Bp4k.png

Why it is stuck finding the master is beyond me, maybe a bug perhaps? When I try to ping under both the master and my computer, it doesn't show either devices in available devices to ping. However, I was able to successfully mirror the two. To my understanding there shouldn't be any ip conflicts as the latest mac osx and windows 7+ OS should map the IP addresses accordingly so it doesn't conflict with other things in the etcnet.  

Related