Fixture Request: Magic Dot SX Standard

The profile for the Magic Dot SX Standard profile is a little wonky when it comes to continuous pan and continuous tilt modes.

The console seems to think that the Pan Mode parameter is just a toggle between "normal" and "rot", and then the speed of the rotation is controlled by the Pan paramter in rotation mode.  But actually, the Pan Rotation parameter itself controls the speed and direction (Fast Forward to Stop to Fast Reverse) when it's in the "rot" range.  Pan itself has no affect in this mode.

Same for Tilt.

The Magic Dot R Standard profile is a little better... it manages to allow for "normal" "rot" and "rot -" so at least I can reverse the direction.  But it still won't let me control the speed.

I haven't checked any of the other versions of Magic Dots or other versions of profiles, but I bet they're all the same.

Here is the DMX map for the SX.  I'm using these fixtures now, so I'll just write my own profile.   But it'd be great if these fixes could be included sometime soon.

Thanks,
~Paul

5460.MAGICDOT-SX-DMX-V1.pdf

Parents
  • Hi Paul,

I can definitely see how this profile may not be allowing for the proper manipulation of Pan Mode versus Pan (and same for Tilt). I'm submitting this profile change request to the Eos team, but I'd love to have a copy of your working, custom profile to show them what works when testing with a fixture. Can you please email this to service@etcconnect.com? 

Thank you!

Therese

• Hi Paul,

Just heard back from the Eos team. While Eos does not typically allow mode parameters to be put on encoder or ML control sliders, a workaround would be to set the modes directly via the command line. For example, "Chan 1 Pan Mode @ 128" puts this at the fastest positive rotation. 

When testing this profile with your fixture, did you see the Pan or Tilt parameters do anything to the fixture when in Rot mode? or did this only change the rotation speed? If they do not affect the fixture, the Pan Mode and Tilt Mode parameters can be disconnected from Pan and Tilt and given separate encoders using "Fine" mode to set values. 

Best,

Therese

• Hi Therese,

pan and tilt parameters do absolutely nothing at all when the fixture is in pan rotation or tilt rotation mode respectively. I agree that pan and tilt rotation should each get its own special encoder with a “normal” “rot” range. Then that encoder could be used to set the speed and direction. 

We have just been limping along like you suggested by manually entering the speeds into the parameters so I haven’t written a profile. Don’t know if I’ll have time this week but if I do I’ll send it your way. 

• Hi Therese,

pan and tilt parameters do absolutely nothing at all when the fixture is in pan rotation or tilt rotation mode respectively. I agree that pan and tilt rotation should each get its own special encoder with a “normal” “rot” range. Then that encoder could be used to set the speed and direction. 

We have just been limping along like you suggested by manually entering the speeds into the parameters so I haven’t written a profile. Don’t know if I’ll have time this week but if I do I’ll send it your way. 

Children
Related