Add a Readonly toggle switch to show file

I'd like to propose a read-only toggle switch function.

Why:  For higher ed and k-12 situations, we have labs where students start from a base show file on the console.  Yes, instructions say the first thing to do is a save as command.  Students do not always do this.  It leads to the addition of cues to the base show file.  Then the next student user is challenged by the changes.

Yes, students should be smarter in their use of the console, but the reality is that students are learning the console and how to program and sometimes make mistakes.  We have a mix of students in design/technology and performance who are learning about programming, and this would go a long way to making rep plots and base plots safer on campus.

This may also help during runs of shows if a student inadvertently enters keystrokes that affect a cue while doing dim check or entering keystrokes to fix a problem.

I sincerely believe this to be a vast help at a teaching level and not an effective tool at a professional level.  I see this as a great help in reducing the total time teachers spend maintaining the lab.

I would propose on the User >> Manual Control setup screen a new column with a toggle switch for setting the file to read-only.

I would propose that the file name be italicized as a visual cue that the file is in read-only mode. 

I would propose that pressing the record button in read-only mode would post an error message to the command line that the file is read-only.

I would propose that save is disabled in read-only mode.

I would propose that when SAVE AS is completed, the toggle is automatically unlocked.

I don't know how to address the issue in patch or settings if someone attempts to make a change how to notify them the show file is in readonly mode.

Parents Comment Children
No Data