Under Review

Stick Beams and Fixture Labels not as useful as hoped

Hi,

Augmented is not as useful as I hoped at answering the question: "what is the bright spot downstage left" particularly on large shows.

1) There should be an option for channel number labels to be displayed at the floor, rather than the middle of the beam

2) There should be a way to color code the channel number labels based on unit type, or active color palette

3) Stick Beams should offer a wireframe view of the the light beams, with an oval defining the edge, and a very light opacity fill

4) There should be a way to adjust the size of channel label text

5) I wish it were easier to toggle the visibility of fixture types on and off

All of these ideas are based on using augmented for a broadway show, and finding it frustrating to still answer the question: "what is the bright spot downstage left"

Thank you all for the amazing work, stay safe

Here's a photo:

Parents
  • Just to second Nick's 'not as useful for identifying that bright spot' comments, and all of the comments he makes about possible ways of addressing that. What I've found is that Augment3d was incredibly useful for 'getting going' - doing a rough focus of the rig particularly with the click-focus tool, getting things oriented the right way round, checking that our big intensity wipes were happening properly, seeing when I'd accidentally left a chase running in some lights - but now that we're in the 'detail' or 'tidying up' phase the screen that had Augment3D on it now has a fixture table on it, as it always has in the past, to let me drill down into the nitty-gritty better. Of course, this would all be different if we were in a situation where we were having to do more work without the rig, but that's not the case on this show. So, again, I think it's amazingly useful - but we just need to figure out ways of keeping that 'amazing usefulness' going through all phases of a production, particularly when worrying about the kind of detail that theatre lighting designers (ie.those most often using Eos-family consoles) do, rightly, obsess about. Rob. (Nick: I hear Broadway's shut down. A surprise, if not an entirely unexpected one. How's that impacting on shows still being made - are you going to carry on working, since presumably you're don't have the large crowd of the audience yet?)
  • Hey Rob, no shows are offering performances, Load in and techs are and can still happen. The show I am on is done with tech and is ready for an audience, so we are  taking a pause for the 30 days. hopefully we can "flatten out the peak"!! stay safe out there

Comment Children