Sending UDP Strings with slash at the beginning can't send

I can't send an UDP String which starts with a slash at the beginning. e.g. "/cue/1/go", is not possible,
"cue/1/go" is possible. I know that a slash at the beginning of a string means normal?  it is an OSC message.
I want to send an OSC like formated string to QLab 4 via external link of a cue. With QLab 4 it is possible
to send an OSC formatted string as a text to Port 53535 and should be recognized as an normal OSC command.
I think that will be very helpful if we can send strings with a slash at the beginning.

Appendix: The diagnose tab says that the string "/cue/1/go" is send but Wireshark says no.

Parents
  • It is not possible to use "UDP String" to send a valid OSC command, because OSC has a very specific internal format.

What you've (tried to) send there is arbitrary text data, it is not OSC.
  • An UDP string which starts with a slash is in the terms of network technologies a valid string, because slash is a valid char. Maybe that the receiver interprets the string as a part of an OSC protocol but it is not obligatory. So there no reason why a string with a slash at the beginning can't send.
  • I don't disagree that its valid to have a / at the start of the UDP packet, but I think your going to need to explain why you want to do something that seems a bit obscure to most of us (ie sending what looks like OSC strings in non OSC packets) in order to persuade someone at ETC to get a developer to look into why its doing it.

What was it you were actually trying to achieve?
  • So, you should read the post from the beginning. QLab can interpret UDP strings with pseudo or handmade formatted text strings which looks like a normal OSC message as a normal OSC message. http://figure53.com/docs/qlab/v4/scripting/osc-dictionary-v4/
    The questions is at least not what I will do, the question is why ETC make things not like the hole computer industry does. The reinvention of a wheel is square, so it can't roll away.

• We can all see that you said you want to send that string as a UDP packet instead of normal OSC.

The question is WHY do you want to do that, what are you actually trying to achieve, given that EOS and QLab will talk OSC with each other fine.

(BTW If we are talking of square wheels it rather sounds like you are trying to make one, instead of letting the designed in capability of both products to do OSC just work)
  • When you use the send string command to add a string to a cue number and add a / at the beginning EOS automatically assumes you want to send an OSC message and formats it as such. ETC would have to change how we determine what protocol is used for send string commands in order for your request to work.
  • This is a very minor bug which is unlikely to affect many uses, non the less has been written up and a request made for the ability to specify the protocol for executed strings: RND 0046911
  • Please read the appendix of the my first post. One problem is that EOS software send nothing when I format a string like an OSC message. I think generally there should be a difference between an "UDP String" and an "OSC Message".
    When ETC use the trick to do both things in one command, it should be well documented in the show control manual.
  • Re "Appendix: The diagnose tab says that the string "/cue/1/go" is send but Wireshark says no."

Probably as you were only intending to do UDP string messages, the OSC address/port etc have not been set so it whilst it "sent" it as far as the diags tab is concerned it didn't get out on the wire. As the diagnostic is reporting the message higher up the processing stack before its sent it down the OSC or UDP transmission code path.
  • Re "Appendix: The diagnose tab says that the string "/cue/1/go" is send but Wireshark says no."

Probably as you were only intending to do UDP string messages, the OSC address/port etc have not been set so it whilst it "sent" it as far as the diags tab is concerned it didn't get out on the wire. As the diagnostic is reporting the message higher up the processing stack before its sent it down the OSC or UDP transmission code path.
Children
No Data
Related