Using Universe 2 on a Gio

Hi,

I understand the syntax for addressing fixtures to other universes on a Gio, but is there any way to then access these fixtures to output? Or how does one effectively use them?

If, for example, I set up our new desk to have all our generics on Universe 1, and then place the LEDs and movers on universe 2, what would I be expecting to type in the command line to bring up the light associated with Universe 2 channel 1?

Can't seem to find anything relating to this!

Thanks,

Misha

• Misha,

You patch addresses to channels and control the channels.  Channel 1 doesn't care what universe it is outputting on just that it is channel 1.  If you channel your dimmers to channel 1 through 400 and then start your LEDs at channel 501 you just have to select the channels and they will output to whatever universe they are patched to.

I hope this answers your question.

Andrew

• I think we have a terminology confusion. In Eos and most modern consoles a channel means a control channel. That's just a name for one or more fixtures to be controlled together. A DMX starting Address is what you enter into a fixture or dimmer rack and use in patch to create a channel. A conventional will use just one address, but movers can use 20+.

Once you have fixtures starting addresses and types Patched to channels they all work the same way. Channel 1@75 works the same way no matter what universe the fixture is in. Universes are much more about the wiring. If you have an all DMX system (no network stuff) then the different universes are different wires out the back of the console. From your description I'm guessing one wire goes to your dimmer rack and so does the conventionals. The other wire goes out to the lighting positions and the 'smart' lights.

One of the really great things about control channels is that you can forget about their addresses and cabling once their patched.

Does that make sense?

• Hi both,
    That does make sense.

As we've got the Gio with (i think?) 5 universes, if we were to "fill" the channels associated with univrse 1, would the numbering system continue sequentially?

Eg, Universe 2, dmx inputting channel 1 could be output channel 514?

For context, we've been using an aged Vector for years, which has different commands for generic versus intelligent fixtures, so wrapping my head around the new system is a challenge.
  • The numbering is whatever you want.

you just type into the patch sceeen things like

chan 100 @ 4/1
    chan 101 @ 2/90

that would make channel 100 be on DMX 1 in uninerse 4 and channel 101 at DMX 90 in universe 2
    they can be anything you want them to be.
  • Hey wcatheatre,

Congratulations on making the transition from the vector to the Gio!

I had to do the same a while ago :) Now you can forget about the difference of channels and spots...

I suspect you work in a theatre? 

What we do in our theatre is use channel 1 to 300 for our conventional dimmers (because we know all the locations of our dimmer outlets in the house by heart)

and at channel 301 we start with the movers in a second dmx universe

• Hi Koen, spot on! Although a tiny bit of me misses the division.

I've ended up doing much the same but putting the intelligents up at 500, well out of the way.
Related