Expression 3 Playback Unit won't boot

Hi all,

We have a couple Expression 3 playback units that we use as backup/overflow, to support legacy effects equipment, and for events that require SMPTE being synced across the site.  Recently our primary unit stopped booting, and ideally we need it up again for some large events we have around New Years.  Last week it randomly stopped booting past the logo screen.  It will hang there indefinitely, so even when you insert the boot disk, it won't take you to the update menu.

And ideas? Or should I be looking at alternates?

• Hey Clifford,

It would be best to give phone support a call and talk with them--Just ask for support when you call.

ETC Americas: 608.831.4116

• If I were to place a bet, I would put my money down on a bad power supply.   It may just need a trimming, but they do tend to fail with age, so I would change it out even if it does trim back up.  It has been awhile, but I would guess the supply is $150-$250 range plus labor (not too much)

• I recently pulled an expression 3 playback out of our warehouse for a project after it had been unused for about 5 years. When i tried to load the show file, it locked up, infinite reboots, etc, all sorts of weird stuff. I ended up changing the floppy drive on a whim and it worked like a charm after that. It's a pretty cheap fix (free) if you have an extra drive lying around. The job is pretty simple if you're comfortable with taking the cover off. The hardest part for me was getting the floppy cable plugged back in as there's not much finger room behind the drive. Let me know what you find out!

Related