Obsession II & Rosco I-Cue choppy live move

Hello all,

We are running Obs II 4600 5.1.1

Rosco I-Cue mirror fixtures are displaying move/stop, move/stop, move/stop, etc behavior during a live move, 10 sec fade time.  Cycling about 2 stops/sec.

The fixtures are set to 16-bit operation.  ML personality is set for 16 bit (Pan, Pan Fine, Tilt, Tilt fine)

Operation is smooth using encoders, and choppy only during cue playback.

Behavior is the same in both DMX & eDMX environments.

DMX transmission speed is set to MAX.

S4 Revolutions and VL 1000s in the same show do not exhibit the same problem.

Has anyone had a similar experience and hopefully a workaround?

Cheers,

Tom

• Tom, I haven't run an Obsn II lately, but it seems clear that this is a fade granularity stepping problem.  Off the top of my head, I would expect a moving mirror unit to run through many fewer "numbers" than a moving yoke unit, when both are sweeping the same distance.  That makes it likely that you could have a problem with only the former type of unit.  Perhaps one way to confirm this would be to temporarily cut the I-Cue fade time in half, and see if the problem is less severe.

I don't see how you could fix it on the same light board without using an internal M-Speed type of command to the lights, if they have it.  Yes, this would be time-consuming.  Can you rehang the I-Cues so they would have to move larger percentages for most of their fades?

• I had another idea after reading this on the Rosco website:

# First Channel - Pan Course[sic] - 0.9 degrees of Resolution
    # Second Channel - Pan Fine - 0.028 degrees of Resolution
    # Third Channel - Tilt Course
    [sic] - 0.225 degrees of Resolution
    # Fourth Channel - Tilt Fine - 0.028 degrees of Resolution

Can you re-hang the Roscos so that most of the motion comes from Tilt instead of from Pan?  I know it sounds dumb, but there's a big difference between .9 degrees and .225 degrees.  You already know what the show consists of, so you know the amount of floor space that has to be covered.  At the same time, you could try to increase the amount the mirrors have to move for the bad fades.  But for small movements over 10 seconds, you will still have the problem.

I see that the units do not have an M-Speed capability. 

• I have moving mirrors that are an off brand, and I have found that I need to slow down the DMX in order to make the choppiness go away. I usually have to set the port speed to Medium. I dont have experience with I-cues though. The problem usually shows up when I use nodes rather than going straight out of the console.
Related