less heavy and smaller solution for the express 24/48

The last couple of years I'm touring with dance companies mostly. We are not only touring in Holland( where I live) but around the world. Some years ago I bought myself a express 24/48, to make the touring part easier. The problem is I can't take it on the plane (too expensive) . I was hoping there is a way to use the OLE and connect it to some usb to dmx controller so I can still use my prerecorded shows abroad.

Edwin van Steenbergen

Parents
  • Sorry but there is no interface between the Off-Line program and any sort of USB to DMX output.

Express is a fairly common board and can be found throughout Europe so maybe there is a chance to have one brought into the theatre where you will be at. Express shows can also be loaded into Expression 3 line consoles.

Sincerely,

Mike

• Thanks for your answers, but most of the time it is no problem when I'm travelling throughout Europe. Mostly it is no problem when I ask for an express. But I was talking more about the times I'm travelling outside Europe (Asia and Africa). Most of the festivals lack the money to deliver a good board.And, but that is another problem, sometimes it happens that I have to read the manual before I can start programming the show because nobody can. It happened twice in China to me. So for those occassions it would be nice.

Greetings

Edwin

• Thanks for your answers, but most of the time it is no problem when I'm travelling throughout Europe. Mostly it is no problem when I ask for an express. But I was talking more about the times I'm travelling outside Europe (Asia and Africa). Most of the festivals lack the money to deliver a good board.And, but that is another problem, sometimes it happens that I have to read the manual before I can start programming the show because nobody can. It happened twice in China to me. So for those occassions it would be nice.

Greetings

Edwin

Children
  • I know this is the ETC  forum, but have you considered other manufacturer solutions ?.

It seems that what you need is a PC/Windows laptop based solution, such as EnTec's Marqee PC (which replaces Horizon) or Hog PC, or one of the many PC based systems oriented towards the R&R market ?.  That is the smallest solution I can conceive of, but has all of the attendant limitations of a PC based control system.  In most cases you need a laptop plus a DMX/USB driver.

I would also seriously consider Ion, as it's not much larger then the size of a laptop.  The HUGE advantage to Ion, besides being a great dedicated console, is that you never have to deal with whatever console you find locally, besides being half the size of an Express.  You could pack the console plus a 15" LCD monitor in 2 suitcases, with room for a fader wing if so desired.  I recently worked with an Australian company that has used a Strand 300 with a sub wing and travels everywhere with it, packed as I described.  The Ion is the same size.  Plus, you can port over all the cues from any Express disks you have.

SB

Related