less heavy and smaller solution for the express 24/48

The last couple of years I'm touring with dance companies mostly. We are not only touring in Holland( where I live) but around the world. Some years ago I bought myself a express 24/48, to make the touring part easier. The problem is I can't take it on the plane (too expensive) . I was hoping there is a way to use the OLE and connect it to some usb to dmx controller so I can still use my prerecorded shows abroad.

Edwin van Steenbergen

• Sorry but there is no interface between the Off-Line program and any sort of USB to DMX output.

Express is a fairly common board and can be found throughout Europe so maybe there is a chance to have one brought into the theatre where you will be at. Express shows can also be loaded into Expression 3 line consoles.

Sincerely,

Mike

• Thanks for your answers, but most of the time it is no problem when I'm travelling throughout Europe. Mostly it is no problem when I ask for an express. But I was talking more about the times I'm travelling outside Europe (Asia and Africa). Most of the festivals lack the money to deliver a good board.And, but that is another problem, sometimes it happens that I have to read the manual before I can start programming the show because nobody can. It happened twice in China to me. So for those occassions it would be nice.

Greetings

Edwin

• I know this is the ETC  forum, but have you considered other manufacturer solutions ?.

It seems that what you need is a PC/Windows laptop based solution, such as EnTec's Marqee PC (which replaces Horizon) or Hog PC, or one of the many PC based systems oriented towards the R&R market ?.  That is the smallest solution I can conceive of, but has all of the attendant limitations of a PC based control system.  In most cases you need a laptop plus a DMX/USB driver.

I would also seriously consider Ion, as it's not much larger then the size of a laptop.  The HUGE advantage to Ion, besides being a great dedicated console, is that you never have to deal with whatever console you find locally, besides being half the size of an Express.  You could pack the console plus a 15" LCD monitor in 2 suitcases, with room for a fader wing if so desired.  I recently worked with an Australian company that has used a Strand 300 with a sub wing and travels everywhere with it, packed as I described.  The Ion is the same size.  Plus, you can port over all the cues from any Express disks you have.

SB

• Alternatively, a SmartFade might suit.

The 24/48 and 24/96 SmartFades will actually fit in carry-on luggage!

The 48/96 and SmartFade ML are larger, but easlier fit in checked baggage.

While SmartFade doesn't quite have the same range of features as Express, and has no keypad, it does perform the majority of functions required.

SmartFade can also read USITT ASCII format, so will be able to read (most of) the data from your existing Express shows, and Express Offline can convert in the other direction as well.

Related