Show File Conversion among Expression-Series Consoles

The only threads I've been able to find here are about converting between obsession and expression consoles. 

Are files made in any Expression Series console fully compatable with other Expression Series consoles? 

For example, I'd like to pre-program a show into Expression Off-Line with the Expression Facepanel. I should be able to run that file flawlessly on an Express 48/96 console, yes?

Parents
  • A couple of things about your post -

An Expression Facepanel is only available with the Emphasis server.  An Expression console is a standalone item. 

Yes you can program with Expression off line and load it into any Express/ion series desk.  However, you will only be able to use the channel count of the desk you load the show into.  For instance, in your example above, lets assume an Expression 400.  If that's the case the the last 208 channels will not be available to you.  Only the first 192 that are available via the 48/96.  Make sense?

• A couple of things about your post -

An Expression Facepanel is only available with the Emphasis server.  An Expression console is a standalone item. 

Yes you can program with Expression off line and load it into any Express/ion series desk.  However, you will only be able to use the channel count of the desk you load the show into.  For instance, in your example above, lets assume an Expression 400.  If that's the case the the last 208 channels will not be available to you.  Only the first 192 that are available via the 48/96.  Make sense?

Children
  • Right, excellent. Thank you!

I suppose I misused the term "facepanel". Only what I meant was what "console" EOL was operating in.

• "An Expression Facepanel is only available with the Emphasis server.  An Expression console is a standalone item. "

Actually, when using Emphasis, any of the Expression II/III, Insight II/II and Express series consoles become a "Facepanel", when connected to the Net2 system and booted with Facepanel software.  At that point, the Emphasis server becomes the processor for the facepanel, whose internal processing is essentially ignored.  There is no such thing (AFAIK) as a separate facepanel that is not an actual console.

Other things to be aware of when moving from Expression to Express is DMX universes.  Expression has 3, Express supports 2.

Steve B.

[edited by: Steve Bailey at 5:20 PM (GMT -6) on Fri, May 22 2009]
  • And just to add to the confusion, there are three "series" of Expression and there is not necessarily show file compatibility among them.

Expression, Impression, Concept and Insight 72 consoles are lovingly referred to as "Expression One" consoles. These are not show-file compatible with any of the newer Expression/Express family consoles.

Expression 2x, Insight 2x etc. and Express all came to market about the same time and are show-file compatible.

Expression 3, Insight 3 and Express are also show-file compatible.

Shows made in newer software do not migrate backwards well. Expression 2 and newer desks can all run the current software version though.

I hope this helps -

Thanks -

Sarah

Related