Express 48/96 + moving lights questions

I work in a small community theater, so discussion of upgrading my board is futile.  That's unfortunately not in the picture.  What is is the picture is buying two used technobeams.

I have used technobeams (and other fixtures) with the expression 3, so I've got the basics of fixture patching, personalities, etc pretty well figured out.  What I want to know is if there's any good shortcuts anyone has figured out to get around the lack of encoders. 

So here's what I'm thinking about...   can I assign my channels for color/gobo/whatever  to submasters with any degree of success?  I read the manual and see how the track pad would work for pan/tilt, but what about the other functions?

Anybody have some good advice for me?

Parents
  • The trackpad works for the other attributes as well. The other thing I would suggest is becoming familar with the use of Focus Points. They help me quite a bit when programming movers. You can use focus points for any or all of the attributes. You could for instance have some of your favorite colors be focus points 20-30 and have the gobos be 31-40. If you want to get really tricky you can have all of that stuff be in a focus point and use "only." So the syntax would look like this: "Fixture [x] at focus point 20 only color enter." Then record this into a cue, and if you wish to modify that color or gobo, it will be updated in all instances you use that focus point. Hope this helps.

• Well, it's up and running, but the trackpad is a pain in the ass.  We're going to have to do a lot of focus points and have a good list to make this not be hair-pulling to program a show I think.

It seems like there must be some good way to use them with submasters.  Any pointers?  I tried putting pan/tilt on subs and that seemed to fail, I'm assuming due to the way the fixture is patched and the linked channels (fine pan/tilt).   Is there something I can do?  Can I do my color wheel and lithos on subs?  Should I just give up on that idea and use focus points?

• Well, it's up and running, but the trackpad is a pain in the ass.  We're going to have to do a lot of focus points and have a good list to make this not be hair-pulling to program a show I think.

It seems like there must be some good way to use them with submasters.  Any pointers?  I tried putting pan/tilt on subs and that seemed to fail, I'm assuming due to the way the fixture is patched and the linked channels (fine pan/tilt).   Is there something I can do?  Can I do my color wheel and lithos on subs?  Should I just give up on that idea and use focus points?

Children
Related