Express 48/96 + moving lights questions

I work in a small community theater, so discussion of upgrading my board is futile.  That's unfortunately not in the picture.  What is is the picture is buying two used technobeams.

I have used technobeams (and other fixtures) with the expression 3, so I've got the basics of fixture patching, personalities, etc pretty well figured out.  What I want to know is if there's any good shortcuts anyone has figured out to get around the lack of encoders. 

So here's what I'm thinking about...   can I assign my channels for color/gobo/whatever  to submasters with any degree of success?  I read the manual and see how the track pad would work for pan/tilt, but what about the other functions?

Anybody have some good advice for me?

Parents
  • The trackpad works for the other attributes as well. The other thing I would suggest is becoming familar with the use of Focus Points. They help me quite a bit when programming movers. You can use focus points for any or all of the attributes. You could for instance have some of your favorite colors be focus points 20-30 and have the gobos be 31-40. If you want to get really tricky you can have all of that stuff be in a focus point and use "only." So the syntax would look like this: "Fixture [x] at focus point 20 only color enter." Then record this into a cue, and if you wish to modify that color or gobo, it will be updated in all instances you use that focus point. Hope this helps.

• Well, it's up and running, but the trackpad is a pain in the ass.  We're going to have to do a lot of focus points and have a good list to make this not be hair-pulling to program a show I think.

It seems like there must be some good way to use them with submasters.  Any pointers?  I tried putting pan/tilt on subs and that seemed to fail, I'm assuming due to the way the fixture is patched and the linked channels (fine pan/tilt).   Is there something I can do?  Can I do my color wheel and lithos on subs?  Should I just give up on that idea and use focus points?

• I used focus points.  Lots of focus points.  Remember to use the "ONLY" soft key.  It is usually under the more soft keys options.

I feel for you doing this show on an Express.  I have been there for the exact same reasons.  Good luck!

Take care,

John

• Give up on the subs idea. It is good for additive things, but if you need to modify a cue, you can only go higher, not lower on those intensities. I guess the only good way to use subs is to have an additive sub to set the initial look, and then use an inhibitive if you need to modify it. Sounds clunky, but might work. Focus Points are your best bet.

• Give up on the subs idea. It is good for additive things, but if you need to modify a cue, you can only go higher, not lower on those intensities. I guess the only good way to use subs is to have an additive sub to set the initial look, and then use an inhibitive if you need to modify it. Sounds clunky, but might work. Focus Points are your best bet.

Children
No Data
Related