16-Bit Control on Obsession II

We are currently programming one VL-1000 TSD on an Obsession II 750 running software 5.1.  We're having a problem with how the console seems to be mastering pan and tilt values.  When a cue is played back both the fine and coarse channels and sent to their next value in the cue's time.  This results in very choppy movement in cues over 5 seconds.  What we should be seeing is the fine movement channel ossiclating between zero and full in between moments when the coarse channel changes from one value to the next.  Even on the ML Live screen when looking at the 16-bit DMX values the rate of change in the value is horribly uneven, rather than moving in a smooth progression as it should.  We've tried this with both the ETC supplied personality and with a old personality that was loaded on the console by a previous ME.  In both cases pan and tilt are defined as 16-bit channels.  Any proposed solutions?

Jim Gross

Assistant Production Manager

TheatreWorks

Palo Alto, CA

jgross@theatreworks.org

• Hi Jim-

Unfortunately, the Obsession II does not do 16-bit fading, only positioning. The only real option for smoothing the fade is to use the VL's internal position timing channel.

-luke-

• As the first reply indicates, there is no remedy for the fade output numbers. If you can't make the cue a little faster (which might improve the appearance of the move), can you put the fixture where it will move through fewer angular degrees in both axes to do the move? (I know that's a lousy choice, but you're in a bad spot.) It's no help now, but the City Theatrical AutoSpot can be told to re-calibrate for less than full motion, while maintaining the original granularity of resolution. But it's incandescent ...  

I can tell you that for every VL show I did on the Obsession ,there was usually one cue that had to be done with MSpeed internal moves. It takes 10 to 15 times longer to program, and it's even worse the first time, as you learn to snap the command and X-Y values in one Part, while fading the conventional in the same cue. Sorry not to offer more hope.

Related