Remote Interface

Perhaps this is more a question for Tech Support but I figured I'd start here since I think (hope? :) the answer is easy.

I just acquired a Remote Interface (the old-style kind) to go with my Express 125.  I had previously upgraded the Express to v3.1.0 of the console software.  The Remote Interface came with version 2.x loaded.  The two didn't talk so I found an old v3.0.2 Remote Interface Software disk and got the RIU upgraded to v3.0.2, but, it still comes up with a blank screen and, so far as I can tell, the two don't talk.  The Upgrade Disk, however, sees the unit and the upgrade passed, so I know the problem isn't my Ethernet wiring.  I checked the RJ45 crossover settings in the console, and they are correct (crossed over, since I have a standard ethernet cable and no hub between them).

My question:  In the v3.1 release notes, it talks about downloading a new Remote Software Upgrade disk from the ETC website.  I've searched in every corner of the ETC website and can't find the aforementioned upgrade disk.  Where do I obtain that?

A second question:  Is the RIU supposed to come up with a totally blank screen until it makes contact with the board?  It comes up with the left and right most LED's flashing and the left most one on solid.

Thanks!
Parents
  • A somewhat related question. 

I have a Remote Interface Unit working as a remote display attached to an Express 24/48 right now.  Is the keyboard supposed to work in this setup, or is that functionality disabled in the Express line.  or do I just have a bum box.

thanks

Ryan

• The keyboard would not be expected to work as there is no support for a keyboard in the Express line.  Expression, however, does support a keyboard.  If you really need to label something you can always open your show in Expression Off Line, select an Expression console, label to your hearts content, save your show and load it back on your console.  All of your labels created off line should show up where you would expect them to be.

Best,

John 

• Actually, what i am looking for is to gain a little control of the console through the remote user interface, rather than labels.  I am guessing that its not set up for that function as well...

thanks for your help

ryan

• To accomplish this you would want a Remote Focus Unit (RFU) or Radio Remote Focus Unit (RRFU).  Either one will give you control over console functions.  Here is the link for the RRFU:

http://www.etcconnect.com/product.overview.aspx?ID=20009

And here is the link for the RFU:

http://www.etcconnect.com/docs/docs_downloads/datashts/Expression_RFU_vB.pdf

Best,

John

• I would recommend the wired RFU, as there is better functionality to the control surface.  The RFU plugs right into the face of the RVI, so you don't need to run a separate RFU cable from the console.

The RRFU does allow terrific access to the console functions from about anywhere in the theater, so it's a toss up as to which is more useful 

So Get Both !.

Steve B. 

• I would absolutely agree with your statement.  The only problem, however, is that the RFU has been removed from the price list.  You should still be able to order them for a bit but ETC obviously would prefer we sell the RRFU. 

Best,

John 

Reply Children
No Data
Related