hog 500/1000 chroma q db4

Hi there i was after a bit of advice on the "quickest" and most simple way to get some good effects from approx 30 chroma q db4 using the hog 1000.

I regularly get sent out with this set up and apart from either:

A: eating hundreds of channels and complicating patching usind the db4s in full dmx mode and creating hsi fixture along with a few limited effects

or

B:stacking a whole lot of cues onto a fader and making a chase thus creating a huge memory eating fader

I find it hard to create any good looks.

Obviously if i had a wholehog i could create and store looks in the effects engine and similar if i had a dongle for hog pc but i dont have access to either at present.

My aim is to have a disk loaded with some good prebuilt chases in the effects engine to save time and memory.

Does anybody have any other ideas???

My next option is to get hold of a wWH2 for a few days and lock myself away.
  • Mike,

The Wholehog 2 (or Hog 2PC) will offer you more flexibility with creating custom effects, but you can create a variety of looks by adjusting your size and speed and fanning the offset on a Hog 500 or 1000. You can achieve even more possibilities if you use grouping when you fan.

To take advantage of this, I would suggest patching each LED cell as an individual fixture. If you set the Color Block PSU to Mode 3, you will have RGB control over each individual cell and you can just patch as many RGB fixtures as you need (4 per fixture). By having each cell represented as a single fixture, this will offer you much more flexibility and control when fanning and grouping.

Well-planned groups will definitely help, since they will recall the selection order of your fixtures (which is used when fanning).

I hope this helps.
  • Thanks for your reply tom.

I did today have a play around on creating some effects on hog pc without having a widget by just viewing output of fixture.

The results i got when loaded onto the 1000 were very good considering.

With a lot of playing around with offset fx etc i managed some reasoably good results.

The only things i didnt manage to do and would like to konw is it possible to

A: Create an effect and store a base colour say the fixtures on blue with a step chase over??

B: to create a chase which stomps the existing colour on unit ie the unit is showing red and then a step chase turns red to 0 and overwrites it with blue as opposed to mixing red and blue together??

Many thanks
Related