midimap file

I edited my midimap.txt file so it only contains the following info:

version = 40
go:8 = note:72

I did this because the MIDI trigger to the hog is coming from someone's laptop and I don't want any errant incoming MIDI data to do unintentional button presses during the show. I'm wondering if this is OK to have only the function I need to be in the file. I'm pretty sure this won't affect anything (except for slaving another hog which I'm not doing), but wanted to be 100% on this before I go onsite.
With this file and MIDI connected, when the console sees note 72 coming in, it does a 'GO' on fader 8. Will note off messages afect this command? I'll probably specify to have the trigger in the form of a quarter note so nothing unusual happens.
Parents
  • For our Christmas show I did that but using Sonar 6.

Hardware goes like this...
    A laptop running Sonar 6 (audio studio)
    A USB to MIDI device (help you find that later if needed)
    A MIDI Map Device (midisolutions.com)
    A keyboard controller (it is a keyboard with no sounds in it, a normal one would do)

We had 2 tracks of audio, a 3rd track for the "MIDI" lighting cues.

The 3rd track was set to just record normal music notes.

The 3rd track was also set to send out the notes thru the USB device.

So far all this is normal audio studio stuff. I would expect Live to do this.

The trick then was to program the MIDI mapping device to convert the notes into MSC commands.

Of course if you are on Hog II, you could leave the notes and change the midimap.txt file.

I found the mapper easier and more flexible. Actually, I was on Hog3 on iPC so I needed it anyway.

CAT
  • For our Christmas show I did that but using Sonar 6.

Hardware goes like this...
    A laptop running Sonar 6 (audio studio)
    A USB to MIDI device (help you find that later if needed)
    A MIDI Map Device (midisolutions.com)
    A keyboard controller (it is a keyboard with no sounds in it, a normal one would do)

We had 2 tracks of audio, a 3rd track for the "MIDI" lighting cues.

The 3rd track was set to just record normal music notes.

The 3rd track was also set to send out the notes thru the USB device.

So far all this is normal audio studio stuff. I would expect Live to do this.

The trick then was to program the MIDI mapping device to convert the notes into MSC commands.

Of course if you are on Hog II, you could leave the notes and change the midimap.txt file.

I found the mapper easier and more flexible. Actually, I was on Hog3 on iPC so I needed it anyway.

CAT
Children
No Data
Related