More Robust File Management

I'd like to see the file management fleshed out a bit.

A few problems I currently have...

-When I do a backup, I would like to be able to click on an existing file to select that as the destination. This doesn't seem to work from inside the OS.

-If a folder has more than a full window worth of files in it, you can not paste files into it, as there is no empty space to rich click in.

-Drag and drop support seems to be very limited. Ex. I can not drag a backup file from the hard drive to a flash drive.

-Console does not understand file size issues. Ex. If I try to backup to a flash drive that doesn't have enough room left, the console attempts the backup, giving me a generic failure message midway through the backup, as opposed to telling me that the mass storage device does not have enough free space.

I'll add more to the thread when I think of them.

Later,

PG
Parents
  • Phil,

I've opened feature request #10146 to suggest that when a file is clicked in the backup file browser, this should change the name of the current backup. I've added your comments to the enhancement.

When I right click in any blank space in the file browser window (even if it's on the line of an existing file), I still get the Paste and New Folder options that I see when I click in a completely blank area below all files. Can you tell me a bit more about this problem?

I've tried dragging and dropping on a Wholehog 3 console, and it seems to be working as I would expect. When working in the File Browser pane of the Shows window, I was able to drag both show backups and library files from the right pane to the Zip disk in the left pane. I haven't had the chance to try this on a Hog iPC yet, but it seems fine to me so far.

We unfortunately don't do any checks for free space before we attempt to run a backup. Bug #4429 is currently open for this issue. I've added your comments to the defect.

Thanks for all of the good comments. Feel free to keep adding to the list.
  • Phil,

I've opened feature request #10146 to suggest that when a file is clicked in the backup file browser, this should change the name of the current backup. I've added your comments to the enhancement.

When I right click in any blank space in the file browser window (even if it's on the line of an existing file), I still get the Paste and New Folder options that I see when I click in a completely blank area below all files. Can you tell me a bit more about this problem?

I've tried dragging and dropping on a Wholehog 3 console, and it seems to be working as I would expect. When working in the File Browser pane of the Shows window, I was able to drag both show backups and library files from the right pane to the Zip disk in the left pane. I haven't had the chance to try this on a Hog iPC yet, but it seems fine to me so far.

We unfortunately don't do any checks for free space before we attempt to run a backup. Bug #4429 is currently open for this issue. I've added your comments to the defect.

Thanks for all of the good comments. Feel free to keep adding to the list.
Children
No Data
Related