Effect chase

Ok, i read the manual and i got alot of information out of it,
Now, there is an effect i cant seem to get the grasp of.

I want to do a light chase, 1 to 6 on the back bar.
and then alternating, IE: 2 to 6 to 4 to 2 to 5 to 1
or 2 and 6 and 4 and 3 and 5 and 1

thanks,
  • One other easy way to type an offset for selected fixtures would be to take as starting point the way we select fixtures. We could type in offset cell or command line 0>enter or >0>enter as we not type last or first and last values console would calculate each offset values for each selected fixtures.
    for example with 1 thru 6 selected:
    0>enter would give fix1 offset 0 , fix2 offset 60, fix3 offset 120, fix4 offset 180, fix5 offset 240, and fix6 offset 300.
    >0>enter would give fix1 offset 60 , fix2 offset 30, fix3 offset 0, fix4 offset 0, fix5 offset 30, and fix6 offset 60.

How does it sound?
    steph
  • Steph,

I like your idea for 0 > Enter. I've logged this as enhancement #10325.

I'm not entirely sure about your > 0 > syntax. I think it's a bit confusing and I'm not sure how you're arriving at the offsets you describe. I would have thought that this would still have spread the fixtures evenly across the 360 degree range and generated offsets of 240, 120, 0, 0, 120, 240. Wouldn't that be correct?

Thanks.
  • You are right, 240, 120, 0, 0, 120, 240. is the correct one

iI wrote too quickly without reflecting
    I asked a new brain for christmas :D

Thanks,
    steph
  • [quote=stephlight]
    I asked a new brain for christmas :D

The biggest Christmas present for the bug between the chair and the desk is often needed between the designer's cell phone and their laptop.

• When you have multiple fixtures selected and you select the offset cell in the effects engine spreadsheet and then press set, you would see a pop-up toolbar (like the cuelist wait column toolbar) that would give you three options: Degrees, Percent, and Spread.

Regarding Enhancement 10276:

I was thinking more about this, how about another category we would call offset.

The Idea of Offset would work where the user would enter a number and that would be the number of fixtures between 0 and 360 degrees of offset that would be applied to the selection order.

A further addition to this would be an offset with mirror (because I love Steph's symmetric designer so much haha). The idea would be to enter a value in the FX offset window where we use the "offset" function I am referring to and them perhaps a modifier like "-" that would mirror the fx.

The syntax I would see is for example on a rig with 16 lights in a line, we want 4 helicopters so we grab p and t and enter a sin, in offset, we choose "offset" and type the following: 4-4
    The idea is that the first four would define the offset between fixtures and the - would indicate that there would be a mirror and the second 4 would be the number of fixtures before the mirroring flips.

We implement this, and all of a sudden we have a matrix builder.
  • Short and sweet. So I am a novice programmer I'm working with a Road Hog Full Boar. I need to program a chase effect using a total of ten fixtures. They're all LED's. On stage for uplighting I have 4 colour blaze 72" v.3's. On either off stage side I have 3 Coemar 6ch. Par Lite LED's. Client wants a chase starting at the furthest off-stage units respectively and traveling inwards to center... Will u help
  • Greetings. This is actually fairly simple. The console will reference the order in which your fixtures are selected. Therefore, instead of selecting your Colour Blaze GROUP and then your Coemar GROUP, simply select your fixtures in the order I. Which you would like them to chase. For instance, if your Colour Blaze fixtures were channel number 1-4 and your Coemar fixtures were 11-16 then select the following:

11, 12, 13, 1, 2, 3, 4, 14, 15, 16

At that point any offset timing will apply to the fixtures in that order. You use the effects engine with offset "fanned" timing or a couple of cues that are following each other with delays. I often prefer the latter idea as I find I have much more detailed control over the chase.

If this is something you find you will do a lot (and you will), save this selection order as a group. The console will recall that selection order everytime you select it. Keep in mind, if you edit a cue, you will have to reselect that group to maintain the correct selection order. Otherwise the console will not apply your timing updates in the correct order.

I use this kind of thing all the time.
Related