Color labelling

A while ago I remember a discussion requesting the facility to set custom background colors to pallets as you can label folders on the Mac. As an enhancement it struck me it would also be useful to extend this to the patch view. When dealing with large numbers of RGB cells it would help identify real world fixture start addresses, giving the ability to highlight in groups of 18 etc.

Thanks Ross
  • Yeah Sami...... Thats a sort of good Idea.

Say I have 2 fixture types in my show.
    Lets say Mac 500 and Mac600.

Mac 500 only has colour slots where as the 600 has CMY
    So i'd have for the 500
    8 pallets for each wheel
    and for the 600 i'd have many more cos of the CMY.

So when i select fixtures/groups with only the 500's
    Only the pallets with them included show
    and the same for 600's

The only problem I see with this is that of you
    for example if you get used to where one colour is for one fixture is and then select another fixture you hit the same place where the pallet was for another fixture, but it's a different colour.

Does what I just said make any sense to anyone?????

Anders,
    Yeah that would make a lot of sense, Having a rainbow image for more than 2 colours in a pallet for say.

It would be nice to be able to have images to represent out gobos in fixtures etc.
    And then I could go on to talk about having Hog3 (if connected on the same network as Catalyst/DL.2/Axon to download little previews the files and folders........ but this is a little off topic so I'll bring this up in abother thread.

Kris.
  • [quote=Kris.g]The only problem I see with this is that of you
    for example if you get used to where one colour is for one fixture is and then select another fixture you hit the same place where the pallet was for another fixture, but it's a different colour.

Does what I just said make any sense to anyone?????

It does Kris, but if it were an option that we could turn on and off I could see why that might help some users.

Personally I just use differnt views if I have that many palletes....and now that the views work much better in 2.1....even better:headbang:
  • I think we must also find a balance between the slot information the Hog gives and palettes...
    From the begining of my Hog3 using (quite near V1.x) I adopted style where I try to use as few palettes as I can...cause imo it's the idea of Hog3. So I use palettes only in situations where I cannot get what I need from toolbar...like CMY and HS, Scroller colours, and combinations of gobos, rotate, prism etc.
    Usually those are the palettes which are linked to cues also.
  • [quote=Kris.g]

The only problem I see with this is that of you

That's a good point which I didn't think. Though, showing the color in palette helps a bit.
  • I'm not shure how others do, or think about this; but when i'm dealing with scrollers, I absolutely need to know the position of the colour on the gelstring. so that would make a colourpicker view that was "linked" to my scroller pallettes unusable..since it's now way of telling which colour that is nearby on the physical string, since it's presented in the rgb sircle.. And that makes the usuall pallettes better imo.
  • Anders,

I meant that scrollers are linked to gel picker, you could compact the view to show only gels you have in selected fixtures and select scrollers and press the gel...
    I understand that also physical place in string is important...but usually the color is the important thing also :)

But the main idea is somehow to have similar color coding to scrollers, which can be used also with color calibrated fixtures...

So, maybe just an option to drag the gel to palette would be good and after that the palette works also with other fixtures.
  • [quote=ahelgor] I absolutely need to know the position of the colour on the gelstring.

+1, i usually put 2 or 3 times the same gel in several places to have good transitions
  • I'm not sure if somebody actually mentioned this already or not, cos I kinda got lost half way down there.

But what if when we were adding fixtures with Color Wheels/Scrollers, we could tell the console what colours were in each posistion on the wheel/gelstring and from that we could while programming select the colour by using the HS picker.

Or if you selected all your light to a shade in-between orange and red thenn all your lights with CMY go to that colour and all the light with wheels/strings go to the closest colour they can.

And if your fixture has RGB or CMY then these automaticly take over from the wheel/string selection.

Kris.
  • [quote=Marty Postma]It does Kris, but if it were an option that we could turn on and off I could see why that might help some users.

Personally I just use differnt views if I have that many palletes....and now that the views work much better in 2.1....even better:headbang:

Yeah I like that Idea........ I can't see me using that feature personally.......
    But I can see how it would find it really usefull.

So the on off button would make sense, Like being able to show compact mode on or off.

Kris.
Related