Cannot get WYSYWYG to connect to HOG3PC

I am using WYSIWYG 21 on my laptop running HOG3PC 2.3.1 (b1932) with the WholeHog connectivity driver version 1.08. I have two DMX Widgets.

I run HOG3PC first and load my show. I then run WYSIWYG and the connectivity window pops up and shows Status: Running, a session address, and Info: Outputs Active. Port 6600 and User Number 1.

I have WYSIWYG set with two universes A and B. My conventionals are patched into A and my movers into B. I have a WholeHog III DP device added in the Device Manager and have bound universe A to Output 1 and universe B to Output 2 with the Address Field set to 1.

When I press Connect, I get a green dot below my System Tray Hog Icon and "WholeHog III DP: / " in the Live Module Status line of WYSIWYG.

However, no output. My Grand Master is up on the HOG. I have "connect on load" set in WYSIWYG and when I save the file and reload WYSIWYG I get the error message:

"Could not connect the following consoles: WholeHog III DP ; "

What am I missing?
Parents
  • Well it has been a while since I connected these two together. But recent events had me talking with WYSIWYG people in Toronto. I had my WYSIWYG dongle lifted from my keyring during tech of the show that opens tonight. I had always assumed three things:

1) replacement dongles were $299US as per their price sheet
    2) WYSIWYG Perform connected to the Hog so you could "visualize" your design in WYSIWYG and then have your rig go to those "looks".
    3) WYSIWYG and Hog would run on the same computer
    Seems I've been a dunce for years. :dunce:

Answers:

1) Cast does not replace lost or stolen dongles and the replacement cost for me is $4999 US (so it won't happen)

2) WYSIWYG does not "speak" to Hog. Hog speaks to WYSIWYG. So I design my show in WYSIWYG and put it together live in the HOG and connect the two. Then moves in the live rig will "show up" in the WYSIWYG Live visualizer.

Please excuse my being obtuse, but what bloody good is that? :dunno: Once I've got my cues and looks designed in reality, why would I care what it looks like in WYSIWYG? I want to design it BEFORE the rig is up and see what is possible and then have that look reproduced onstage when the rig is hung and focused. I don't need the perform module at all if it is the other way around. :06:

3) When I described my system to Cast support, they said they do not support WYSIWYG and HogPC on the same computer. I was supposed to have two computers connected with a crossover cable. Maybe I didn't read carefully enough but I never heard that one. Actually the behavior shown by my setup last spring in my lighting lab is exactly how it is supposed to work according to Cast. I move a light with the Hog and it is mimicked in WYSIWYG. But move a light in WYSIWYG and it will not move in the Hog.

So I think I'm done with WYSIWYG after five years and about $8000 to Cast Software. My students won't be learning the program in my courses anymore. Next semester is totally devoted to the WholeHog however.

I'm looking at other visualizers but I really need an alternative to WYSIWYG for my plotting and paperwork. Suggestions?

Doug
  • Well it has been a while since I connected these two together. But recent events had me talking with WYSIWYG people in Toronto. I had my WYSIWYG dongle lifted from my keyring during tech of the show that opens tonight. I had always assumed three things:

1) replacement dongles were $299US as per their price sheet
    2) WYSIWYG Perform connected to the Hog so you could "visualize" your design in WYSIWYG and then have your rig go to those "looks".
    3) WYSIWYG and Hog would run on the same computer
    Seems I've been a dunce for years. :dunce:

Answers:

1) Cast does not replace lost or stolen dongles and the replacement cost for me is $4999 US (so it won't happen)

2) WYSIWYG does not "speak" to Hog. Hog speaks to WYSIWYG. So I design my show in WYSIWYG and put it together live in the HOG and connect the two. Then moves in the live rig will "show up" in the WYSIWYG Live visualizer.

Please excuse my being obtuse, but what bloody good is that? :dunno: Once I've got my cues and looks designed in reality, why would I care what it looks like in WYSIWYG? I want to design it BEFORE the rig is up and see what is possible and then have that look reproduced onstage when the rig is hung and focused. I don't need the perform module at all if it is the other way around. :06:

3) When I described my system to Cast support, they said they do not support WYSIWYG and HogPC on the same computer. I was supposed to have two computers connected with a crossover cable. Maybe I didn't read carefully enough but I never heard that one. Actually the behavior shown by my setup last spring in my lighting lab is exactly how it is supposed to work according to Cast. I move a light with the Hog and it is mimicked in WYSIWYG. But move a light in WYSIWYG and it will not move in the Hog.

So I think I'm done with WYSIWYG after five years and about $8000 to Cast Software. My students won't be learning the program in my courses anymore. Next semester is totally devoted to the WholeHog however.

I'm looking at other visualizers but I really need an alternative to WYSIWYG for my plotting and paperwork. Suggestions?

Doug
Children
No Data
Related