Washblue, white flash effect

Hi there,

I have been working with Hogpc for a while now. Had the chance only once to run my show on a roadhog.

But I've ran into a problem for an effect what I'm trying to create.

I'm running now wysiwyg and hogpc. So no real desk or real lights.
The problem I is, is that I want to have a color (lets say blue beceause I like blue, specially for this effect), with white flashes. Therefor I'm using mac700's in my 'show' beceause of the cmy possibility's (a normal color wheel could run through all the colors before getting to white) and I want to flash it too white for a short time. So it looks a bit like a strobo but isnt.

I've started with 2 groups and 4 cue's (in one list offc).
The first cue excisted of all the spots in the blue wash with a 2 second waittime.
The second cue has all 'odd' spots in white but with a wait time of 0 and delay on 0,1 seconds (this obviously didnt work beceause with wait time 0, the hog didnt bother to play the cue), so I tried to set the wait time to 0,1.
The third cue has all spots back on blue.
The fouth cue has all the 'even' spots on blue with the same settings as the second cue.

--edit
I've made a little mistake earlier, when I set cue 1 and 3 (the all blue cue's) to delay 0.1 second and the 'flash' cue's ( en 2 and 4) with a wait 0. It sort of works, but still the delay gets affected by the problem writen below this.
--edit

The wait time with 0,1 second works.
But then there is another problem, when I change the speed by selecting the 'choose' button and use one of the wheels to change speed, the white flash also changes speed.
Now since that it is a logical thing to do for the hog, I would like it to set the wait time of that white flash cue sticky, so it wouldnt change when I change the speed of the whole list.

I hope one of you could help me out here. I also wonder if this is the right way to achieve this effect.
  • The effect that you want to create is very simple...

The trick is to go from the colourwheel to the same colour created by the CMY system.

cue 1: blue on colourwheel
    cue 2: blue on CMY

If the coloursystem is 'slow' enough you can see the 'white flash' that you would like to achieve.
    To get it randomly, use the 'fan' option.

No idea if you can simulate this in a visualizer since they're not able to simulate the speed of your coloursystem...
  • Otherwise, you would have to increase the delay time for the auto-follow as the CMY cannot keep up quick enough to get rid of the blue and come back to white. This is especially if you cannot find a blue on the wheel (or if blue is not the last frame before the open).
  • [quote=prmucha]Otherwise, you would have to increase the delay time for the auto-follow as the CMY cannot keep up quick enough to get rid of the blue and come back to white. This is especially if you cannot find a blue on the wheel (or if blue is not the last frame before the open).
    You describe perfectly the next issue that I would have.

Using a delay is not really a good option beceause the delay time is also affected the same way as the wait time when I press the choose button of the master I'm using for this effect and then change the rate of the cuelist with one of the weels...

And I want the white flash always have the same 'speed' regardless the speed I set the cuelist/chase with the wheels.

Another trick I could use to get the 'flash' effect without using a normal color wheel is to close the shutter before going to white, then open it (the flash) and then turn back to blue.

But then I also need to set a 'fixed' wait or delay time on one of the cue's. So i'm not really sure if that is going to help me out here.
  • [QUOTE=Gekbeestje]
    And I want the white flash always have the same 'speed' regardless the speed I set the cuelist/chase with the wheels.

Just create it the way I described and you will not run into that issue.
    The 'flash' is really just a 'flash' and indepent of the speed of your cuelist.
  • Well, how about you have a fader that is IPCB that just opens the fixture up. Are you using Mac700 profiles or washes? Basically, just record a cuelist on a fader that is set to IPCB. In that cuelist, open any gobo wheels, color wheels, CMY color, just everything altogether. It is a catch-all for whatever is on stage at the time, and will fulfill those needs. Also, you can just hold it for however long you want, and then release it, and it will fly on and off quickly.
  • Well, I've 'solved' it a different way for now (beceause I cant really test the way axs said).
    Just make a normal chase with all timings the same (or no wait time at all and set it as a chase) with a 'random' white between all those. If I make it run fast it flashes pretty damn good, but on slow speeds its more like a regular color chase. But on slow speeds thats not even a bad thing (combined with a rotating gobo for instance). :)

Thx for you help guys. :notworthy:
Related